EZ Water Calculator 3.0 - Page 11 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > EZ Water Calculator 3.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #101
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mabrungard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Carmel, IN
Posts: 4,112
Liked 596 Times on 461 Posts


There hasn't been a shift in the actual pH. I think the difference is that other resources were reporting mash pH's at mash temperature instead of mash pH after the sample is cooled to room temperature. That is roughly a 0.2 to 0.3 difference (room temp pH is higher than at mash temp).
__________________
Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-...?ref=bookmarks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #102
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Steelers77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Janesville, WI
Posts: 2,121
Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts


Nice, I like the new workbook.

I will brew tomorrow so I will have a chance to review this soon.

Are you planning on a sparge acidification sheet anytime soon?
__________________
Pearl Malt is back in stock!

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #103
hector
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Last Station
Posts: 667
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


I'm using this Calculator for the first time and as I put my water profile and the amount of grain in , it gave me 11 as the Residual Alkalinity .

Since I'm using only 2-row pale malt , I'd like to know if I can really get the SRM related to this RA ?!

Hector

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #104
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,204
Liked 7712 Times on 5418 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
I'm using this Calculator for the first time and as I put my water profile and the amount of grain in , it gave me 11 as the Residual Alkalinity .

Since I'm using only 2-row pale malt , I'd like to know if I can really get the SRM related to this RA ?!

Hector
Of course you can. It depends on the water you start with. But don't consider SRM, because the actual color of the beer doesn't matter.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #105
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Thiensville, Wisconsin
Posts: 8,212
Liked 489 Times on 378 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
There hasn't been a shift in the actual pH. I think the difference is that other resources were reporting mash pH's at mash temperature instead of mash pH after the sample is cooled to room temperature. That is roughly a 0.2 to 0.3 difference (room temp pH is higher than at mash temp).
ah, ok. so, it's 5.4-5.6 at room temp, and 5.2-5.4 at mash temp?
__________________
Quote:
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

"A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #106
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
kal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,515
Liked 347 Times on 224 Posts


I'm brewing a darker american style hoppy beer (Janet's Brown Ale at 18 SRM, 1.066 OG, 63 IBU).

Normally for hoppy american style beers (IIPAs, IPAs, APAs) I target Randy Mosher's ideal Pale Ale numbers (Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=17, Cl=50, S04=350) to bring out some of the hop brightness and never have issues. Salts get added to both the Mash and Boil as expected.

For my water and volumes this would be the following for this beer:

Add to mash: 10.8g CaSO4, 2.9g CaCl2, 5.3g MgSO4
Add to boil: 12.1g CaSO4, 3.2g CaCl2, 5.9g MgSO4

However, because of the darkness of this beer I hit the proper pH range in the mash *without* adding any mash salts. So I left them out.

I'll still add the boil salts to the boil but I'm wondering how much of the mash salts (if any) I should I also add to the boil?

My understanding is that when sparging, 100% of the mash salts don't make it over so I don't want to simply dump *all* the salts in the boil. Problem is I don't know how much does or what I should do to compensate. Any hints? Just add the boil salts? Add the boil salts plus 50% of the mash salts? Something else?

Kal

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #107
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
kal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,515
Liked 347 Times on 224 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
I'm brewing a darker american style hoppy beer (Janet's Brown Ale at 18 SRM, 1.066 OG, 63 IBU).

Normally for hoppy american style beers (IIPAs, IPAs, APAs) I target Randy Mosher's ideal Pale Ale numbers (Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=17, Cl=50, S04=350) to bring out some of the hop brightness and never have issues. Salts get added to both the Mash and Boil as expected.

For my water and volumes this would be the following for this beer:

Add to mash: 10.8g CaSO4, 2.9g CaCl2, 5.3g MgSO4
Add to boil: 12.1g CaSO4, 3.2g CaCl2, 5.9g MgSO4

However, because of the darkness of this beer I hit the proper pH range in the mash *without* adding any mash salts. So I left them out.

I'll still add the boil salts to the boil but I'm wondering how much of the mash salts (if any) I should I also add to the boil?

My understanding is that when sparging, 100% of the mash salts don't make it over so I don't want to simply dump *all* the salts in the boil. Problem is I don't know how much does or what I should do to compensate. Any hints? Just add the boil salts? Add the boil salts plus 50% of the mash salts? Something else?
For anyone's who's curious: I ended up throwin in the mash salts anyway and the mash pH only dropped an extra 0.01 - 0.02, likely due to the excellent buffering capacity of this mash. So all is good. I'll have the flavour profile that I like/expect.

Kal

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #108
sudsmcgee
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Western Chicago Burbs, IL
Posts: 1,519
Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
ah, ok. so, it's 5.4-5.6 at room temp, and 5.2-5.4 at mash temp?
After much reading on this topic, that is my understanding.
__________________
"If you're here for the premature ejaculators meeting, you've come too soon."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #109
deanocamino
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
fairmont, wv
Posts: 8

I am glad I came across this thread, I used EZ several times and was still trying to wrap my head around why it did not seem to agree with palmers SRM nomograph. Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #110
RichBenn
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Tahoe
Posts: 813
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


OK, having not used this since, probably 1.0, I like it better because it has pH. HOWEVER, I am confused and wonder if there is problems in the pH calculation.

Let me explain. I have very low mineral content water. It is:

(Ca ppm) (Mg ppm) (Na ppm) (Cl ppm) (SO4 ppm)Alkalinity (CaCO3 ppm)
16 1 8 0.5 0.5 59

I've been adjusting it to:
96 11 8 77 131 59

The last time I checked pH during a mash (with a good meter, .05 accuracy), it was about 5.2-5.3 with a light colored (6-7 SRM) beer. Your 3.0 spreadsheet shows my pH would be 5.65.

I thought this may be because I was using a thinner mash than I used to. But changing the quantity of mash water vs. sparge makes no difference in the pH in the spreadsheet. Is that right? Seems like it would change. Also, I cannot really change the effective mash pH in the program without using acidulated malt, or adding about 10-20 times the amount of pH down (gypsum, calcium chloride, and epsom salt) I currently use!

Just asking. I haven't played with the new spreadsheet much yet, and I haven't located the exact recipe I used when I checked the pH (although it was the same SRM). Next beer I'll check pH again, but I'm getting great efficiency and no astrigency with a similar recipe, so I'm not thinking my pH is suddenly higher....

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EZ Water Calculator 2.0 -TH- Brew Science 159 03-21-2014 01:57 PM
EZ Water Calculator ? smuth10 Brew Science 22 04-26-2011 07:33 PM
Updated water calculator Kaiser Brew Science 3 03-26-2011 07:05 PM
EZ Water Calculator 2.0 and Batch Size VikeMan Brew Science 8 03-08-2011 03:23 PM
Question on EZ Water Calculator 2.0 adromo Brew Science 2 02-12-2011 05:40 PM


Forum Jump