Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > I think I need a new thermometer...
Old 03-31-2007, 03:46 AM   #1
Formerly Bike N Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default I think I need a new thermometer...

So I currently use this to monitor my mash temps, but I don't love it. It seems to jump around randomly, and get "stuck" on occasion. Case in point: I'm mashing a Dunkelweizen tonight... got the 10# of grain and water to 152F, and waited. Kept iodine testing, kept seeing black. Looking at the thermo the whole time, and it crept down a little (maybe 1 degree) in 60 minutes. Then at 75 minutes -- wham-o, I'm at 140F. WTF? No idea whether the initial temp was off, or the last, but there's no way my mash tun (stainless steel pot w/insulation blanket) lost 12 degrees with that kind of volume in 75 minutes (let alone 15). Even without insulation, that wouldn't happen.

Anyone use a good instant-read digital for mash temps? I used to use one made for meats, but I don't think the probe was meant for immersion (eventually it just read 248F, all the time)

No signature required.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
Liked 66 Times on 43 Posts

I picked up a digital probe thermo @ Wal Mart for $15. It's got a silicon tube around the wire and seems to be water proof. It hasn't wigged out like the exposed braided types. Great buy for the price IMO.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

A thermometer didn't come with my kit, but I got one of those BBQ fork meat thermometers for Fathers' Day a few years ago... l didn't like it for the grill, but its been great for brewing.

I just stick the fork end into a cup of stanitizer solution and use it to check temps throughout the brewing process
"I used to have a drinking problem, now I have a hobby."

Primary: Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Spiced Cider
Secondary: MVP Ale
In the Bottles: Maple Sap Mead
In the Kegerators: MVP Ale, Pils
Next: ?
Old 04-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I use this one, its expensive but it can be immersed into hot mash. Reads quickly and accurately.
Also if you do get it don't put it in the oven.
Read here.....