Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Oops...

Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
Summy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oops...

Hey all. I have been in the process of changing over to electric. Marcus is building my control panel for me and I've been preparing all of the keggles. Well, today I had one more hole to punch in my HLT for a "water in" ball valve. It is about 2" from the top of the keggle. I had a hard time with my step bit and it took quite a while to get the pilot hole drilled into the pot. I was a bit flummoxed by the problem with the drill bit (), and grabbed the wrong greenlee punch. I grabbed the 1-1/4" instead of the 13/16"... So, needless to say, I now have a large hole in the upper portion of my HLT. Here's the question: Does anybody have a solution for plugging that hole in a weldless format? I saw this on Grainger http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Cap-1LRX8?Pid=search and thought I could find some 1" or 1-1/4" pipe (do they make a 1" or 1-1/4" close pipe nipples?) and I already have the silicone gaskets that I purchased for the heating elements (which were 1-3/16" ID), so I would have to get another stainless nut, which was 1" for the heating elements. Are my sizes all out of wack here...? I'm thinking that since my punch makes 1-1/4" holes, and the element is 1" NPT, that I might only need to get the 1" stuff and not the 1-1/4"?
Sorry for rambling, but I feel like I'm in a pickle here.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Silver Solder some SS washers on there to plug the hole?

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
clearwaterbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

flatten out what you punched out, have it welded back in... perfect size, near the top of the kettle so waaay easier than the bottom of the keg

Old 08-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Summy
Recipes 

Except I used a greenlee punch and it has a 1/2" pilot hole drilled in it. A friend suggested a 1" or 1-1/4" threaded ss bolt and a couple of washers with a nut. I can use one of my silicone gaskets if needed.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
clearwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I am not understanding, you want a 13/16 hole, you have a 1-1/4 and the piece of metal that came out of it has a a 1/2" hole. Have the stainless plug welded back in, punch to 13/16, or grind or step bit back out to 13/16... Me thinks you are overcomplicating it

Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Summy
Recipes 

In order to punch the accidental 1-1/4" hole out, I had to drill a 1/2" pilot hole with the step bit. The piece of metal is bent all to hell from the punch. I already punched a 13/16" hole somewhere else at the top of the keggle. So, I am left with a 1-1/4" hole in the top of my keggle to plug. Plus, I know not a single welder, except for my Dad who is 450 mi. away (and had just been here for a visit two days before the accidental punching...).

Old 08-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Plug, Washer, Kettle Wall, O-ring (if you can find silicon use it),lock ring, done.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
clearwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

get one of these until you can have it welded up.. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SHA...ion-Plug-6VFN2

Old 08-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Summy
Recipes 

Got it taken care of at the Hardware for $3.47

Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Sweet deal, what did you use?