Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

Old 01-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #321
bellmtbbq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTgill
So I have read through this 32 page thread and have a quick question. Has anyone done this BIAB method? If so what size pot and how much water did you start with or did you also sparge. I always follow simpleBIABcalculator.com for water volumes and it says I need north of 9 gallons for this and it will not fit in my 10.5 gallon pot. Thoughts?
This is a huge amount of grain but I suppose you could do BIAB. I mean you don't NEED 9 gallons of water, it's suggested. I think you could do it

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #322
TNTgill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thanks I will let you know how it goes. Gonna try for 7 gallons then sparge for the remaining volume.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #323
chalkdust41485
This is no hobby....
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You could definitely do this with BIAB. I only have a 7.5 gallon turkey frier pot and sparge to top off the pot. I know, not truly BIAB (no-sparge BIAB) but it works for me.
I hoist the bag over the pot with a ladder and let it drip into the pot during the boil and then sparge with water so it just drips into the pot. This method has helped the past couple of brews.
I'm planning on brewing this with BIAB. If anything, i'll just sub for a pound or two of light DME to help with the grain weight. Although I've never tested the max volume of grain with my system. I've done 13 and 14 pounds before so I may decide to not use the DME and see how the full weight goes.

Primary: Rye Amber, Traditional Mead (Fresh Blackberries after first transfer)
Keg 1: Rub My Belly (EdWort's Pale Ale)
Keg 2: Dog House (Strong Ale)
Bottled: Dog Haus (Pale Ale), Wagging Tail (Sam Adams Boston Ale-ish), Muddy Paws (Oatmeal Stout), Raging Rabies 2.0 (11.0% IIPA)

Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #324
watchir
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post
This is a huge amount of grain but I suppose you could do BIAB. I mean you don't NEED 9 gallons of water, it's suggested. I think you could do it
easy option, get a bigger pot =)

Other option, just add less water and use the same amt of grain. You may want a little DME or LME on the side incase your efficiency is lower than usual, due to the lower amount of water used.

Once your mash is complete, pull the grains and top up with the needed water to get 5.5 gal at end of boil.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #325
TNTgill
Recipes 

I guess I should let you all know how the BIAB with 18.5 lbs of grain went. I could easily fit 7 gallons with the grain in my pot. After mashing and pulling the grains I sparged with 1.5 gallons and squeezed the bag fairly hard to end with 7.25 gallons pre boil. I don't have my notes with me now so I don't remember the pre boil gravity but the boil went very well and ended with 5.75 gallons of 1.094 in the fermenter. I actually overshot the gravity and volume which I am super happy about. It blew off (with 2.5 packs of s04) for 48 hours or so. I then rinsed the grains again added a few other things to the "second runnings" of my BIAB and made a second batch of something. 1.045 sg and around 50 ibu of citra goodness.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #326
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I BIAB'd this recipe. I compensated for a planned lower efficiency by adding another pound or so of Maris Otter, and ended up way overshooting my OG....10.5+% of delicious English IPA grains with American hops! I still have some bottles that have aged 8 months, and they're still delicious.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #327
TNTgill
Recipes 

I did the same. 17 lbs MO 1.25 lbs Thomas Fawcett Amber and .25 lbs acid malt. Didn't need that much MO. I think I'll drop to 15 lbs next time.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #328
Brian4x4
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for posting this recipe.
I made it as well but did 10 gallon batch, I used a little too much water so had to boill it down a little longer.
I didn't have every exact ingredient and used some extra hops. lol
but it turned out Amazing!
it was my 2nd try at all grain, and my 1st time using all my new homemade equipment.
very happy with it.
I bought enough grains, yeast and hops (lbs worth) to make this recipe like 4 more times.
I am not saying it is all I will brew but I love it so much that I want to keep doing it and perfect it.

if no one minds I would like to share this video of my experience.
Word of advice for anyone who does this beer, use a blow off tube right from the start!

(I have changed my fermenting chamber since and use a True RC Cola fridge I found for 50 bucks with glass door)

Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #329
nickmv
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed this on Sunday, and boy did it look gorgeous after cold break.

I used ~ 19.5lbs 2row and 1.5lbs TFA on a 6.5 gal batch (always brew more when doing IPAs due to hop loss). Sparging was a bit interesting. I was only able to hit about 1.063 at pre-boil gravity (vs 1.071 target). I checked the runnings and found that they were still coming out at 1.035, so I sparged a whole extra gallon, boiled it back down, and nailed my grav over a 90min boil.

Really excited about this one. I've been wanting to make it for a while.
Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 01-30-2013, 04:56 AM   #330
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just wanted to chime in on this one. Made the recipe as stated on the front page, and dry hopped with 1.5oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo.

I do not recommend using S-04 yeast. Even fermented in the low to mid 60s, there's too much fruitiness in this beer, and I don't think it dried out quite enough. It's not quite bitter enough, IMHO.

Few buddies of mine and I had it side by side with the real thing, and the color was right, the aroma was right, and the malt felt close, if maybe a bit too rich. If I had to do it again, I'd find a cleaner yeast and try to dry it out a bit more, and perhaps add a bit more Warrior in the early hop additions to increase bitterness.