Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone - Page 11 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #101
BrewToppers
 
BrewToppers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Corvallis, OR
Posts: 47
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I mashed at 149F for 60minutes... the temperature held perfectly for the entire hour.

I sparged with 168F water by draining almost all of the wort from the mash, then pouring in a couple gallons of water and mixing. The mixing may have been my problem since in the past, I usually just pour my sparge water onto a plate sitting on the mash so it won't tunnel. Basically I just took the runnings of that until I reached the pre-boil volume of 7.0 gallons.

After 90 minutes of boil, it looked like I had the estimated post-boil volume I was shooting for, but guessing that the ridiculous amount of hops soaked up quite a bit of that.

All-in-all, I thinking I sparged incorrectly and should have started with maybe 7.5 gallons pre-boil.

Thoughts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #102
brew2enjoy
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Delaware
Posts: 945
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts


It may have been your sparge temp. You want the temp to be around 170 after it settles. I sparged with 190* water and stirred for 5 minutes. By the time I drained the sparge water it was 165*. I could be missing something but that seems like the only part of your process that was off.
__________________
DIY stuff...
- Bar
- S/S mash paddle, PEX manifold

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #103
scoundrel
 
scoundrel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 806
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


Ok, so my buddy and I (and several others) did a blind taste test of this the other night after about a month and a half and I have to say its a DAMN good beer. That being said it wasn't completely cloned. So we asked for input and the overwhelming response was its missing the deep "raisin" flavor of the original and was a bit lighter. It was a 10 gallon batch and everything went perfect. I suspect there that a small amount of crystal 120 may need to be added. I had a couple of beers that used crystal 120 and it had a similar aroma and taste. I was also inspired by their website tasting notes stating "raisiney". I may throw a little in next time just to experiment.
__________________
BrewGeeks.com
My Brewday
Track Your Beer

Starter??? I don't even know her!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #104
brew2enjoy
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Delaware
Posts: 945
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel
Ok, so my buddy and I (and several others) did a blind taste test of this the other night after about a month and a half and I have to say its a DAMN good beer. That being said it wasn't completely cloned. So we asked for input and the overwhelming response was its missing the deep "raisin" flavor of the original and was a bit lighter. It was a 10 gallon batch and everything went perfect. I suspect there that a small amount of crystal 120 may need to be added. I had a couple of beers that used crystal 120 and it had a similar aroma and taste. I was also inspired by their website tasting notes stating "raisiney". I may throw a little in next time just to experiment.
What was the date on the bottle of 90 minute? As Scottland says in the OP, 90 Minute starts to develop that raisin/apricot flavor as it ages. I have had it fresh on tap before and the hops overpowered the other flavors. So as your beer ages and the hops start to fade, that will be the real test. When mine is finished and kegged, I will probably bottle a 6er and stash it away for a few months and see how it changes.
__________________
DIY stuff...
- Bar
- S/S mash paddle, PEX manifold

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #105
scottland
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Chandler, AZ
Posts: 2,116
Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts


I'm thinking the clone might possibly need a pinch more amber malt, like 1/4lb more. I get pretty high efficency, so the amber was a higher % of my grist. I think 1.25lbs would be about right.
__________________
http://www.bertusbrewery.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #106
scoundrel
 
scoundrel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 806
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
What was the date on the bottle of 90 minute? As Scottland says in the OP, 90 Minute starts to develop that raisin/apricot flavor as it ages. I have had it fresh on tap before and the hops overpowered the other flavors. So as your beer ages and the hops start to fade, that will be the real test. When mine is finished and kegged, I will probably bottle a 6er and stash it away for a few months and see how it changes.
Not sure off hand on the date, but the place I bought it was my normal shop here in good old central Maryland. The owner once told me that they have a hard time keeping it in stock. I believe its mostly due to their good price. I suspect it wasn't very old at all. Amarillo will give you apricot and it was definitely there. However, the raisiney flavor in the commercial version was very pronounced and I don't see how aging would cause this. Perhaps it isn't crystal 120. Maybe its a small amount of special B. I don't know. I can't pin it down yet.
__________________
BrewGeeks.com
My Brewday
Track Your Beer

Starter??? I don't even know her!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #107
DustBow
 
DustBow's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Cincy, OH
Posts: 634
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts


Might also be their "doggy" yeast coming into play?
__________________
"Brewers make wort, yeast make beer."

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #108
scottland
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Chandler, AZ
Posts: 2,116
Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
Perhaps it isn't crystal 120. Maybe its a small amount of special B. I don't know. I can't pin it down yet.
It's just Thomas facwett Amber malt. I do agree the recipe needs a pinch more. I updated it to 1.25 on the first page. What was your OG and FG?
__________________
http://www.bertusbrewery.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #109
scoundrel
 
scoundrel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 806
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
It's just Thomas facwett Amber malt. I do agree the recipe needs a pinch more. I updated it to 1.25 on the first page. What was your OG and FG?
The OG was 1.084 and FG was 1.014. So it was a little dry but that "raisiney" flavor was pretty much non-existent. Maybe more is the answer. I may run a smaller batch to see. In the mean time, hopefully others who have recently made this will provide additional feedback.
__________________
BrewGeeks.com
My Brewday
Track Your Beer

Starter??? I don't even know her!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #110
brew2enjoy
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Delaware
Posts: 945
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts


I'll be transferring mine to the keg tonight. I still have a week of dry hopping though. I plan on sneaking a sample to see how it is coming along. Last time I sampled it the malt seemed very close but mine also finished on the sweeter side at 1.022.
__________________
DIY stuff...
- Bar
- S/S mash paddle, PEX manifold

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dogfish head 90 Minute Clone elgee General Beer Discussion 1 04-03-2016 12:36 AM
DogFish Head 90 minute IPA Clone BootYtRappeR Recipes/Ingredients 4 08-03-2014 11:01 PM
Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA clone help! SteelTown Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 06-15-2013 05:46 PM
Dogfish Head 90 minute clone? LagerLover24 General Beer Discussion 6 01-18-2012 02:50 AM
AHS Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone? jrss13 Recipes/Ingredients 3 08-09-2010 11:24 PM


Forum Jump