Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottland

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP007
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
9SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2wks @ 64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2wks @ 70
Tasting Notes
Dead on 90 minute clone
This is formulated at 70% efficiency, add or subtract 2-row to adjust to your efficiency.

16lbs 2-row
1.25lbs Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt* (see note below)
3oz Amarillo
1oz Simcoe
1oz Warrior
Mix all hops together, and hop continuously for 90min** (see note below)
Mash at 149-150*
Ferment with WLP007 at 64*. Use a pitch rate calculator for your starter, you want around 300 billion cells.

Dry hop:
2oz Amarillo
2oz Simcoe
I like to split the additions in half over the 2 weeks

*Amber malt: Use Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt, don't just use any old amber malt. If you can't find Thomas Fawcett Amber, look harder. This is the exact malt DFH uses, and it's a distinctive flavor. It's available at quite a few online retailers if your LHBS doesn't carry it.

**Hopping: Mix all 5oz of hops together, how often you add them is up to you. Some people add a couple pellets every minute, others fill up 30 dixie cups, and add one cup per 3 minutes. Personally I do 10 additions, 0.5oz every 10 minutes, and it turns out excellent.

That's about it, it's actually a fairly easy beer to brew other than the continuous hoping. If you can't find WLP007, use WYeast 1098 - Dry Whitbread, or Safale S04. Definitely use WLP007 if it's available, the yeast character is dead on.

I just had a slightly tweaked version take 1st place for IIPAs in a competition.

DSC_2939.jpg

Bringing this back from the dead. I am gathering my AG equipment and I think this will be my first AG attempt, since 90 minute IPA is my favorite beer!

Good luck with it! Mine was dead on even as it aged. Fresh it tasted like 90 minute on tap. A couple months later it had that raisin-apricot malty character that DFH 90 takes on when it's past it's prime.

There are really only two tricks to this beer other than what I wrote above. 1. Make sure your mash is around 149-150, definitely err on the low side. 2. Pitch a ton of yeast. Make a 3QT starter or pitch 2 packs of S04; A clean ferment is a must. Let me know how it turns out.

Looks like the biggest issue will be finding all the ingredients from the same store. Looks like AHS has everything except the Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt. Hopefully I will have all my equipment ready to give this a try within a month. I just moved into a new place and am still setting up my brew area.

So what are the fermentation times? Primary. Secondary? How long each? Do you dry hop in the secondary or primary? How long age in bottles before its good to drink? What kind of water do you use?

Thanks

-Primary was 13-14 days at 64* I raised the temp to 70* after day 5.
-Secondary was the length of the dry hop, so 14 days.
-I dry hopped right as I racked to secondary, just to get the beer off the yeast so the yeast wouldn't pick up the hop oils. I added half the hops right away, the other half 7 days in.

-After 14 days in the 2ndary it went straight to keg, the beer was at it's prime within about 1-2 weeks in the keg. I'd assume for bottles it would be good as soon as it's carbed(2-3weeks). Drink your hoppy beers young. The beer stayed great for about two months. Hop flavors fell off after that.

-Water is R/O with 2tsp calcium chloride and 1tsp gypsum added to every 5 gal of water. Also 4oz of Accidulated Malt is added to the grain bill for pH adjustment.

I have the 60 minute on deck -- might have to switch to 90 minute as I found the 60 minute a little too malty/sweet for me (still a great beer though) but the 90 minute was exceptional..... much more hoppy to go with the sweetness.

It's really easy to make this beer a little hoppier if you prefer, just hit it with some extra simcoe or amarillo at 0min.

Would regular spring water be ok to use? I don't want to complicate my first AG with all that water chemistry lol.

Yup =), regular 'ol spring water would be just fine. Don't worry about water chemistry until the rest of your process is nailed.

What do hog gain by messing with the water chemistry? Also how do you know what sort of water profile is good?

If your water profile is good, you don't gain anything by messing with water chemistry. If your water profile sucks (which mine does), you have quite a bit to gain. My water is extremely hard, and full of chlorine, so I start with reverse osmosis water. RO water is too soft for most styles other than pilsners, so I need to add minerals back.

Check out the brew science forum here on HBT, there's lots of good info.

I can't wait to try this recipe. I'm a huge fan of DFH 90 min (and a huge hop head). I agree with scottland about the water chemistry. My water is really soft, so I tend to add 2 tsp gypsum and 1 tsp epsom more as a yeast nutrient (they need the Ca and Mg) after the mash is done. My pH usually isn't a problem. You can get your water profile reports off your county website. Once my spiced christmas ale is out of my primary, I'll get this one ready. Thanks Scottland!

I can't wait to try this recipe. I'm a huge fan of DFH 90 min (and a huge hop head). I agree with scottland about the water chemistry. My water is really soft, so I tend to add 2 tsp gypsum and 1 tsp epsom more as a yeast nutrient (they need the Ca and Mg) after the mash is done. My pH usually isn't a problem. You can get your water profile reports off your county website. Once my spiced christmas ale is out of my primary, I'll get this one ready. Thanks Scottland!

I have my own well so I would have to have someone come out and test my water. I have seen those home test kits. Not sure how accurate they are.

Anyone have any experience with open fermentation?

I had my second fermenter blow up today. My 1st was with a belgian triple in a 5 gal carboy with no blow off hose. For my DFH clone I decided on my good old faithful 6 gal ale pail and double bubble air lock. I come home today from work and check on my brew (2 days into fermentation) and I don't hear the airlock going. I open the door and the ale pale lid is on the floor. The airlock completely gummed up and 2 feet away, kreusen everywhere. It must have been off for a while because cleaning everything up took forever because it had dried on pretty good. Anyway, I cleaned and sanitized the lid, cleaned and sanitized the lock, replaced everything. That lock is bubbling like crazy still. Jimmy cricket! That S-04 is no joke!

Anyway, I hope The batch will turn out ok. Luckily I didnt lose too much brew. I figure it was like open fermenting for a bit, so that's why I posed the question at the beginning. I just figure I'll RDWHAHB.

Is it possible to get an extract or partial conversion for this? Love 90-minute but not into All-grain yet. If not, I'll stick with the 60 minute. Thanks!

Sure: Partial mash is going to be the way to go, you're going to want that character from the Amber malt. Subbing it for crystal won't give the same effect.

1lb 2-row (crushed)
1lb Amber (crushed)
-Steep(mash) those in a grain bag in 1gal of water between 152-155* for 30-45min. Discard grains.
-Add enough water to get you to the amount you normally use pre-boil.
-Add 9.5lbs Light DME or 12lbs Extra Light LME
-Follow the recipe from there, add your top off water to get to 5.5 in the fermenter

-Personally I would also sub out some of the DME or LME for some cane or corn sugar to make sure it attenuates enough. Use 12oz of cane or corn sugar, and 12oz less LME or DME.

Had my batch in the primary for just under two weeks now. Took a sample last night for a gravity reading and it tastes amazing. Beautiful light amber color. The malt flavor was dead on.

Can't wait to dry hop this thing and get it in bottles. Im psyched.

Just bottled this after 2 weeks in the secondary. Amazing aroma and taste was wonderful! After all my fermentation woes, this beer turned out great so far. Can't wait for it to carb up. This will be a great beer to crack open after my daughter is born (due date 28 dec). Thank you!

Shuznuts said:
Anyone have any experience with open fermentation?

I had my second fermenter blow up today. My 1st was with a belgian triple in a 5 gal carboy with no blow off hose. For my DFH clone I decided on my good old faithful 6 gal ale pail and double bubble air lock. I come home today from work and check on my brew (2 days into fermentation) and I don't hear the airlock going. I open the door and the ale pale lid is on the floor. The airlock completely gummed up and 2 feet away, kreusen everywhere. It must have been off for a while because cleaning everything up took forever because it had dried on pretty good. Anyway, I cleaned and sanitized the lid, cleaned and sanitized the lock, replaced everything. That lock is bubbling like crazy still. Jimmy cricket! That S-04 is no joke!

Anyway, I hope The batch will turn out ok. Luckily I didnt lose too much brew. I figure it was like open fermenting for a bit, so that's why I posed the question at the beginning. I just figure I'll RDWHAHB.

I had my primary blow up on me. Don't worry. Just seal it and it will turn out fantastic. Just be ready for a very potent brew!

No joke about the potent brew. Just like the original! We should rename it to DFH fermentor-bomb-clone 90.

I'm looking to brew this in an 5 lb extract version. I took a suggested recipe from our local homebrew store. My bill grain is slightly different. Im using pilsen and victory. What do you think?

I'm looking to brew this in an 5 lb extract version. I took a suggested recipe from our local homebrew store. My bill grain is slightly different. Im using pilsen and victory. What do you think?

It'll get you pretty close. I've used a combo of victory and crystal 60 to substitute for amber malt. Side-by-side you'd be able to tell the difference, but that will get you very close. Pilsner is fine, but not needed. The recipe calls for a 90min boil, so I don't see any issues with it.

Thanks for the recipe. Looks like a huge beer, never had DFH 90, but had the 60. I need to brew this. One question tho..

I don't do yeast starters, I'm lazy. Can I use Safale US-05? Isn't US-04 mostly for British style beers? Can I just pitch 1.5-2 packets of Safale and be okay?

Looks like fun, can't wait to brew this!
justin

1.5-2 packs of Safale is perfect; take the five minutes to rehydrate it though. Dogfish uses an English yeast, so S04 should be pretty close. Their IPAs are pretty clean so if you can't ferment this at around 62-65 use US05, it'll taste much closer at warmer temps. Either way won't be a huge difference, it's a clean yeast profile.

Thanks about the blog, I'm new at it.

Thanks for the recipe. Looks like a huge beer, never had DFH 90, but had the 60. I need to brew this. One question tho..

I don't do yeast starters, I'm lazy. Can I use Safale US-05? Isn't US-04 mostly for British style beers? Can I just pitch 1.5-2 packets of Safale and be okay?

Looks like fun, can't wait to brew this!
justin

DFH 90 is my favorite beer, it has the perfect balance of maltiness and hops (IMO). If you can get it in your area try it out!

Good morning, I've looked and I cannot find Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt. I checked Midwest, MoreBeer, Austin, and Northern (and I googled) ... anyone have ideas on other suppliers?

Thanks!

I got my Thomas faucet (and everything else I needed) from Rebel Brewer. Reasonable prices and really good packaging. I'd use them again.

Back