When to add Honey? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to add Honey?

Old 08-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts

If you heat honey above 100F you might as well just use sugar or DME. You do NOT need to heat honey AT ALL. It is 100% safe without ANY heating.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Lefou Likes This 
Old 08-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
geneb

Recipes 

Mar 2011
Abingdon, VA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always just put it in the fermenter before I added the cooled wort. Put a gallon or two of wort onto the honey, shake it violently to get it to dissolve, then add the rest of the wort. It does dry out the beer, but you can taste honey flavor with as little as 1 or 2 pounds of honey in 5 gallons of beer.

I will likely use honey malt in the future, though, as it didn't give enough honey flavor for me. And high quality honey is expensive.

Planning: Nothing.:(
Fermenting: Australian Pale Ale, Wee Heavy
Drinking: Nelson Sauvin Saison

Old 08-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
SLBrooks
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Austin, TX
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The darker the honey the stronger the honey flavor - typically. Clover is a pretty light honey, you might want to look for a buckwheat or alphalpha or a wild flower honey from a hot state like TX, NM, AZ.

Become friends with a local bee keeper, or if you want to raise bees send me a message. The cool thing about honey is it takes on flavors from the plants the bees worked. This is how you end up with a true orange(citirus), watermelon (vine fruit) or my favorite and super expensive (to the consumer ) mesquite honey.

If your looking for the best (imo) brewing honey around, go with raw goldenrod honey. It stinks..bad.. but has a lower amount of fructose giving you a drier brew, but the taste really comes through since its not completely consumed by the yeast. The smell dies after a while.

I hear that holly honey is just as good if not better than goldenrod, but i dont have any growing around my apiary.

Hope this helps

People Like This 
Old 08-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
Houblon
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Hot & sticky Fla.USA
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

To all the nay sayers I had to back off the honey as it was overpowering, again a tried & well tested recipe that has been posted since 2007 on NB forum.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/pant...-wheat-151570/

High grade honey, low hops, ferment cold, clean yeast and it works every time.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #15
rhys333
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Liked 176 Times on 154 Posts

As per earlier comments, my understanding is that honey adds little in terms of flavor/aroma, but I'm brewing a honey kolsch next and adding in some real honey seems the appropriate thing to do. Some report that a quality honey at FO is detectable and I'm wondering if others have experience with this. I'm posting my recipe below. The honey portion will be to boost from 5 to 6% abv. Kolsch is thin enough to begin with though, so I will be adding some dextrin malt to maintain a balanced mouthfeel. Appreciate any feedback, especially your experiences with honey and if it adds to flavor or aroma in any way.

HONEY KOLSCH (5.5 gal / 1.055 / 24 IBU)
78% 2 Row
8% Vienna
8% Clover honey @ 0 (100F)
3% Honey Malt
3% Carapils
1 oz Hallertauer Trad @ 60 & 10 *
0.5 oz Hallertauer Trad @ 0 *
WY 2565 Kolsch

* I opted to increase Kolsch hopping rates to work with the higher than average abv.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #16
stever1000
Recipes 

Oct 2014
Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

How many pounds does honey add per pound? I have an OG of 1.040 I want to adjust to 1.050

Old 10-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #17
rhys333
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Liked 176 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever1000 View Post
How many pounds does honey add per pound? I have an OG of 1.040 I want to adjust to 1.050
About 0.008 points, or 0.75% alcohol. This calculator is a great tool for figuring amounts out:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebr...pe/calculator/

EDIT: forgot to say my above calculation assumes 5.5 gallons. Lefou's post made me realize this omission.

Lefou Likes This 
Old 10-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #18
Lefou
Tyro Brew Monk

Recipes 

May 2016
East of Filthadelphia, south of Nyack
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

How many gravity points does one pound of honey add?
That depends on the type of honey, the specific gravity and amount of liquid it's mixed with.
If you mix one lb. of honey into one gallon of water it would yield a gain of approximately 40 gravity points and 4% ABV. If you want 10 points of gravity, about 4oz. of honey/gallon of water would work and should give you approximately 1% ABV boost. Yeast and temperature will make a difference on FG, but the calculator will give you a general idea.

Any online calculator can help crunch numbers for you. I typically use Brewer's Friend for my baseline recipes.

Winter Projects: Belgian Ale (Primary), English-style Braggot (Conditioning)

Old 10-10-2016, 01:17 AM   #19
stever1000
Recipes 

Oct 2014
Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys333 View Post
About 0.008 points, or 0.75% alcohol. This calculator is a great tool for figuring amounts out:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebr...pe/calculator/

EDIT: forgot to say my above calculation assumes 5.5 gallons. Lefou's post made me realize this omission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefou View Post
How many gravity points does one pound of honey add?
That depends on the type of honey, the specific gravity and amount of liquid it's mixed with.
If you mix one lb. of honey into one gallon of water it would yield a gain of approximately 40 gravity points and 4% ABV. If you want 10 points of gravity, about 4oz. of honey/gallon of water would work and should give you approximately 1% ABV boost. Yeast and temperature will make a difference on FG, but the calculator will give you a general idea.

Any online calculator can help crunch numbers for you. I typically use Brewer's Friend for my baseline recipes.
I will check out brewers friend, but for quick reference, is it 16oz = 40 points or 16oz = 8 points?

Old 10-10-2016, 01:51 AM   #20
Lefou
Tyro Brew Monk

Recipes 

May 2016
East of Filthadelphia, south of Nyack
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Let's assume you start out with one gallon of water - SG of 1.000. Add 16oz. of generic honey and you'd expect a jump to 1.040 or thereabouts. It's really an estimate, but using a hydrometer to verify is good insurance.

Winter Projects: Belgian Ale (Primary), English-style Braggot (Conditioning)