Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Made "Pulled Pork"

Old 08-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #21
madbaldman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Grilling and smoking are different things and if you want to make honest BBQ, get a dedicated smoker. You can get some smoke flavor out of a Weber type charcoal grill but it won't replace a real smoker. I live in an apartment now and had to give up my smoker. I do have a very nice gas grill but I've given up getting smoke flavor on it. Foil packs just burst into flames. In a perfect world I'd both gas and charcoal grills, plus a decent smoker.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #22
Jamminjoenapo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Go buy a smoker. I broke down last year and bought a cheap $70 cabinet smoker from Home Depot and haven't had issues with it. You do have to drill holes in the coal basket and put some bricks in the bottom and get a new thermometer, but for the price it couldn't get any better. From then on it's just low and slow. I truthfully love my gas grill, but it is for steaks and the like, anything that is cooked a long time goes on the smoker.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #23
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
Gas and electricity should heat your home and run your car, but not be used in cooking food.
I have to dispute that. I use a Smokin Tex electric smoker. Now you can yammer all day about real smoking involving feeding a fire box and tending coals, and I'll give you that there is more skill involved there.. On the other hand I put in my pork butt, 3 or 4 ounces of wood in my smoke box over my electric element, insert a thermometer and set the temp control. I can then walk away for 12 hours till the temp alarm tells me it's done. And yep, it's all yummy smoky goodness.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 08-04-2011, 02:19 AM   #24
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbaldman View Post
Grilling and smoking are different things and if you want to make honest BBQ, get a dedicated smoker. You can get some smoke flavor out of a Weber type charcoal grill but it won't replace a real smoker. I live in an apartment now and had to give up my smoker. I do have a very nice gas grill but I've given up getting smoke flavor on it. Foil packs just burst into flames. In a perfect world I'd both gas and charcoal grills, plus a decent smoker.
That's why I have one of these:
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...atalogId=10051

I've only had it a couple weeks but I've already used every part of it except side burner. Worth every penny.
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:23 AM   #25
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
I have to dispute that. I use a Smokin Tex electric smoker. Now you can yammer all day about real smoking involving feeding a fire box and tending coals, and I'll give you that there is more skill involved there.. On the other hand I put in my pork butt, 3 or 4 ounces of wood in my smoke box over my electric element, insert a thermometer and set the temp control. I can then walk away for 12 hours till the temp alarm tells me it's done. And yep, it's all yummy smoky goodness.
Agreed! I've smoked meat twice now on my homemade electric flower pot smoker, and I may never use my UDS again. It's so simple to just warm it up, put some wood chips in the pan, and leave it alone for as many hours as needed 'til its done. My UDS simply requires more thought.
for one more beer!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #26
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenshead View Post
That's why I have one of these:
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...atalogId=10051

I've only had it a couple weeks but I've already used every part of it except side burner. Worth every penny.
UUse the side burner to start charcoal in a charcoal chimney - now you have a use for all of it. I had seperate gas grill and smoker when I was married but after that was over and I became an apartment toad, only the gasser could come with me.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #27
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Well, the dedicated smoker just ain't gonna happen in this household. I'll just hang on to the old Weber and let it do what it does. Thanks, all, for the input on either doing ALL the cooking on the Weber or starting on the Weber and then going to the gas grill. My gas grill, by the way, uses ceramic brickets that look just like Kingsford charcoal to impart some flavor into what is being grilled. The flame is under the brickets so any juice/grease drops on them and starts to smoke.

Again, thanks to all for suggestions. I will certainly put them to use the next time I make "pulled pork."

glenn514

Old 08-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #28
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
Funny, I've never once had to "feed" or "tend" to my Big Green Egg. Fillt it. Light it. Tune it. Smoke it. (sounds like a Daft Punk song, haha)

I'm just funnin' with everyone anyhow. Everyone has a preferred way of cooking and as long as it's working for you, go for it.

I still maintain that "BBQ" requires three things; heat, smoke, and time. There are more natural ways (fire) and more technological ways (electricity) to achieve them. It's like brewing, what comes off and whether you like it is what counts.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #29
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3656 Times on 2487 Posts
Likes Given: 2473

I picked up a Brinkman "El Cheapo" electric smoker for $10 at a yard sale. Definitely nothing fancy, but it gets the job done with a couple of very minor mods.

But even then, I've had to smoke for a couple of hours, then bring in to finish in the oven sometimes.

I've heard you can use several different electric heating elements and a coffee can to turn your gas grill into a smoker. After the smoke is on the meat, fire up the gas grill on low and cook it through. I imagine it takes a LOT of gas to do this though...

Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #30
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I've heard you can use several different electric heating elements and a coffee can to turn your gas grill into a smoker. After the smoke is on the meat, fire up the gas grill on low and cook it through. I imagine it takes a LOT of gas to do this though...
I'll bet it uses a lot of gas becuase a gas grill is intended to. . err. . GRILL. i.e.: high temp cooking.

So the surners aren't probably very efficient when you're trying to maintain sub-250 degree temps. Though I think there are some pretty good advances in gas technology that may allow to half-light burners or use a different orifice for lower temps (pilot lights run ALL the time, so they have to be efficient, right). Of course, this is all conjecture. I haven't cooked on a gas grill since guest-cooking at a friend's party a few years ago.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.