High Gravity Beer and Bottling? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > High Gravity Beer and Bottling?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
McBrewskie
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Alameda, Ca
Posts: 2,172
Liked 312 Times on 229 Posts



I have a Oaked Bourbon Porter going. Just moved it to secondary after 2 weeks. OG 1.096 and it is currently at 1.028, is that too high. Gonna leave it for a month, will I need to repitch or anything when I bottle? It's currently at 11% abv and I used White Labs English Ale yeasties.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
ParadiseBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Paradise, California
Posts: 63
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by McBrewskie
I have a Oaked Bourbon Porter going. Just moved it to secondary after 2 weeks. OG 1.096 and it is currently at 1.028, is that too high. Gonna leave it for a month, will I need to repitch or anything when I bottle? It's currently at 11% abv and I used White Labs English Ale yeasties.
You are at 8.9%, (1.096-1.028)*131=8.9%. that being said, how did you hop it? It should drop to 1.020 to 1.018 but don't expect it to get to low. Also I wonder about you mash temp, more then 152* and it will stay high. I hope you mashed lower and did all grain. Don't worry about it and if you still think it's to high, hit it with some bourbon when you bottle it.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
McBrewskie
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Alameda, Ca
Posts: 2,172
Liked 312 Times on 229 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseBeer View Post
You are at 8.9%, (1.096-1.028)*131=8.9%. that being said, how did you hop it? It should drop to 1.020 to 1.018 but don't expect it to get to low. Also I wonder about you mash temp, more then 152* and it will stay high. I hope you mashed lower and did all grain. Don't worry about it and if you still think it's to high, hit it with some bourbon when you bottle it.
It was an extract.

12 lbs. LME
4 oz Maltodextrin

Steeping Grain

4 oz Black Patent
1 lb Crystal 60L
12 oz Pale Chocolate
1 lb Munich
8 oz. Honey Malt

Hops:

2 oz magnum at 60
2 oz. cascade at 10
2 oz willamette at 1

I did add bourdon and oak chips tonight. 16 oz of bourbon that had oak chips soaking for 2 weeks and about an oz of oak chips into the secondary.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
seabass07
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Brothell
Posts: 1,250
Liked 121 Times on 91 Posts


I think you've got a thick beer with that recipe. After 2 weeks, I think it's done. Also, according to beersmith, 1.028 is exactly what the FG should be.

Go ahead and bottle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #5
McBrewskie
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Alameda, Ca
Posts: 2,172
Liked 312 Times on 229 Posts


Thick hmm, it does taste very good so far. Bottle though? after 2 weeks. I was gonna let it set with the oak and bourbon for a few weeks?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #6
seabass07
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Brothell
Posts: 1,250
Liked 121 Times on 91 Posts


I just mean that there isn't a problem bottling it. Also no need to pitch more yeast. Like Paradisebeer said, if your OG was 1.096, you are still at an ABV that the yeast can handle.

Definitely do the oak and bourbon. It will be good!

I just did an bourbon vanilla porter and ended up with a FG of 1.012. It tasted great after just a week in primary. It's sitting on vanilla right now. I'm having a hard time staying away from it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
ParadiseBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Paradise, California
Posts: 63
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Yep, this is why it's good to do all grain. You would have control over the amount of fermentable sugars. It will still be a good beer, I would just not expect it to go much lower. Just for the safe side I would still let it chill in secondary for two weeks. I would hit it some dry hops one week out of bottling..... omg I am going toss my iPad out the F$&!king window! Swype does not work on the iPad, FYI


 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
McBrewskie
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Alameda, Ca
Posts: 2,172
Liked 312 Times on 229 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseBeer View Post
Yep, this is why it's good to do all grain. You would have control over the amount of fermentable sugars. It will still be a good beer, I would just not expect it to go much lower. Just for the safe side I would still let it chill in secondary for two weeks. I would hit it some dry hops one week out of bottling..... omg I am going toss my iPad out the F$&!king window! Swype does not work on the iPad, FYI
Thanks man. Yeah, I have done one partial mash and am taking an all grain class saturday. You guys have any suggestions for a dry hop that will go well with a porter like this?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
McBrewskie
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Alameda, Ca
Posts: 2,172
Liked 312 Times on 229 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post
I just mean that there isn't a problem bottling it. Also no need to pitch more yeast. Like Paradisebeer said, if your OG was 1.096, you are still at an ABV that the yeast can handle.

Definitely do the oak and bourbon. It will be good!

I just did an bourbon vanilla porter and ended up with a FG of 1.012. It tasted great after just a week in primary. It's sitting on vanilla right now. I'm having a hard time staying away from it.
Nice. This thing tastes good already and from what I understand these nice darker beers just get better with aging.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #10
seabass07
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Brothell
Posts: 1,250
Liked 121 Times on 91 Posts


Also there's maltodextrine, 1lb crystal 60, and 1lb honey malt. These will all result in a thicker sweeter beer since they contribute a lot of unfermentables.

This sounds like a delicious chewy beer.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first high gravity beer THEDIETZ Fermentation & Yeast 8 04-02-2011 02:15 AM
High Gravity Fermentation and Bottling Mayn Fermentation & Yeast 3 02-23-2011 01:13 AM
Bottling yeast for high gravity beer? GBC Fermentation & Yeast 5 02-06-2011 08:16 AM
Question about a high gravity beer gomb Fermentation & Yeast 4 07-26-2010 06:34 PM
high gravity beer lag times docmoran Fermentation & Yeast 3 08-31-2009 05:01 PM


Forum Jump