Recommend recipe for first BIAB - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Recommend recipe for first BIAB

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
BetterSense
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Richardson, Texas
Posts: 1,025
Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts



I made a couple batches with extract kits, and now I'm drowning in mediocre stout. I want to try all-grain BIAB method with my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer, but I need a recipe. Something lighter, lightly hoppy, more summery/refreshing, and something others will enjoy more since many of my friends drink amerilager and don't like my stout. Also, I have a whole bunch of US-05 I would like to use.

I will buy everything from my LHBS but I need to know what to buy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Medford, MA
Posts: 4,125
Liked 125 Times on 121 Posts


this sounds like exactly what you need, just use the S-05 instead of notty if you want: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/cent...10-gall-42841/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
TopherM
 
TopherM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 3,974
Liked 449 Times on 354 Posts


Do EdWort's Haus Pale Ale:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-...ale-ale-31793/

Or DeathBrewer's SMASH APA:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/smash-apa-87816/

Both simple recipes, light body, lightly hopped, summertime refreshing, and would be great with S-05 instead of Notty.

For BIAB, you can either just use the full water volume and just heat to mashout, or do a "BIAB Sparge" by heating the sparge water in a separate pot and either soaking the bag in the new pot for about 10 minutes then pouring and draining it in the original mash, or just slowly pour the sparge water through the bag as it is suspended above the mash then drain well. The rest of the recipes and procedures are the same as the normal AG recipes.
__________________
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
BetterSense
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Richardson, Texas
Posts: 1,025
Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts


I might do the separate sparge method just to save mash volume, because 7.5gal is going to be pretty close to full if I try to do full-volume.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
kenlock
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Mordialloc, Australia, Australia
Posts: 79
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Amerilager

80% Pale Malt/20% Flaked Maize (90/10 Pale/Carapils for you don't want maize)
Magnum @60min/Hallertauer @15min for 20 - 24 IBU
US05 @ 61-62F

The simpler the better for the first time. Less variables to consider and reflect upon.

Enjoy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Vance71975
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 817
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
I made a couple batches with extract kits, and now I'm drowning in mediocre stout. I want to try all-grain BIAB method with my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer, but I need a recipe. Something lighter, lightly hoppy, more summery/refreshing, and something others will enjoy more since many of my friends drink amerilager and don't like my stout. Also, I have a whole bunch of US-05 I would like to use.

I will buy everything from my LHBS but I need to know what to buy.

Do a Simple Smash Ale.

7lbs Some form of Pale Malt(i like Golden Promise)
1oz Amarillo @ 60
1oz Amarillo @flame out

Us-O5

Poof Simple Smash ale!
__________________
The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Mysticmead
 
Mysticmead's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,342
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts


http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/crea...eam-ale-66503/ is a great choice for first BIAB. you'll get great efficiency, plus it's a beer that even people who don't like home brew will love. light, not hoppy, crisp, good for these hot summer months. last one I did a keg was drained in an evening at a friends party. That was with an even split of home brew drinkers and BMC people.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
MidnightShift
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
utah
Posts: 38


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/crea...eam-ale-66503/ is a great choice for first BIAB. you'll get great efficiency, plus it's a beer that even people who don't like home brew will love. light, not hoppy, crisp, good for these hot summer months. last one I did a keg was drained in an evening at a friends party. That was with an even split of home brew drinkers and BMC people.
+1. This is my first BIAB effort and it turned out great.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #9
smokewater
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Posts: 197
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I also BIAB in a 7.5 gallon Turkey fryer pot. This is the only recipe I have done twice.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/da-y...le-ale-100304/

Very nice beer.

Mash with 6 gallons of water with about an 11lb grain bill. 2 more gallons heated to about 190 in a 5 gallon bucket that you put the grain bag in after the mash. Heat original wort to 175 and place bag back in for sparge. Pull bag and combine all liquid. You will have 6.5-7 gallons pre boil. I let the bag cool in the bucket and add that liquid back during the boil. That will give you about 5.5 gallons and 75% efficiency.

Also hop utilization is better with such a large boil volume. I use this calculator to hit the suggested IBU

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

Remember to change the boil volume to 6-6.5

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
johnodon
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Douglassville, PA
Posts: 639
Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
this sounds like exactly what you need, just use the S-05 instead of notty if you want: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/cent...10-gall-42841/
+1000000000000000

Still the best beer I have ever brewed!

John
__________________
...I'm back baby!!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy BIAB 1st time recipe? mychalg9 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 08-25-2011 01:08 PM
BIAB recipe question msh227 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 14 08-02-2011 03:07 AM
BIAB Recipe Antler All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 17 04-28-2011 10:08 PM
First recipe BIAB..Any comments hcarter All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 08-31-2009 09:45 PM
BIAB Recipe Adjustments anemic All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 06-13-2009 02:24 AM


Forum Jump