Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > For my safety

Old 08-02-2011, 03:17 AM   #1
agezzi
Recipes 

May 2010
Lafayette,In
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Im trying to figure out how to ground my 2000w element. It's going in unfortunately a aluminum 10g pot. I asked in another thread but to no reply. Please help don't want to just chance it. It will b thru the kettle. Attaching it close to the way it was in the Brutus 20. Thanks

Old 08-02-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6697 Times on 3960 Posts

ground the kettle. Put a screw/lockwasher/nut through the handle, or through the top lip of the kettle. crimp a ring terminal onto the ground wire and secure under screw.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
agezzi
Recipes 

May 2010
Lafayette,In
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i would like to keep it clean...no wires sticking out. could i solder it to the side of the heating element or maybe to the pot. dont really want to put a extra hole anywhere. will start on project tomorrow, i want to get this right and still look good. any thoughts

Old 08-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
kevink
Recipes 

Jan 2010
PA
Liked 99 Times on 68 Posts

Personally I would not trust solder. I would drill and tap a hole in the base of the element for more of a mechanical connection. If you can't do that, maybe have someone weld a threaded lug to your kettle.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Coldies
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My RIMS element is grounded to the metal strap that holds it to my brew rig. Im in the process of making a EBK for my 2.5 gallon batches and im going to get a fender washer and drill a hole in it and attach it to that. so it would go element > lockwasher (with o-ring) > kettle > rubber washer the element comes with > washer that the ground goes to. Of course all of this will be enclosed as well with a piece of pvc.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2011
Overland Park, KS
Liked 126 Times on 99 Posts

Have you decided how you're attaching the element?

If you're mounting it like in Kal's build (theelectricbrewery.com) then the ground will be attached inside the metal box which makes contact with the kettle.

edit: just noticed you said you're mounting it like Brutus 20. I'm not familiar with how it's done in that build. Sorry.