Breweries on Kickstarter - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Breweries on Kickstarter

Old 08-02-2011, 03:17 AM   #1
weagle05
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Peachtree City, GA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone else used kickstarter to try to help out any microbreweries, or to fund their own?

I've put in a few bucks for all of the ones I found actively fundraising now and a hop farm, although many of them don't look like they'll reach their fundraising goal.
It seems like a good way to help the cause (not that there aren't better or more noble causes... like more ingredients and gear for myself). I would definitely pitch in more if any of them were near me, especially within golf cart distance.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
HopsJunkie
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Hobe Sound, Florida
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Pipeworks was one that was a success (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ches-big-beers)
and from the looks of it, Wilderness Brewing isn't going to hit theirs http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ches-big-beers

I think, really, that Kickstarter is a good thing, but it can't be your only source of startup capital. I think planning is the biggest part of trying to put together a brewery. So yeah, it's great resource to use, but a lot fail because they don't have realistic expectations as well.

Cheers!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
weagle05
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Peachtree City, GA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsJunkie View Post
I think, really, that Kickstarter is a good thing, but it can't be your only source of startup capital. I think planning is the biggest part of trying to put together a brewery. So yeah, it's great resource to use, but a lot fail because they don't have realistic expectations as well.
Definitely, if it only took 35 to 45 thousand dollars to start a commercial brewery or brewpub, a lot of us would be doing it. But for getting some startup capital without sacrificing equity or cash flow, while getting the word out and building a sort of brand loyalty very early kickstarter can't be beat.