Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > blackberries in lambic

Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
jibby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default blackberries in lambic

I have a quite a lot of ripe blackberries in my backyard. More than I can use. I also have some lambic base that's been going for a few months. Has anybody made a blackberry lambic? How many pounds per gallon did you find to be ideal?

Also, any point of freezing it? I have heard that fresh berries are better because they have wild yeast on the surface.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1044 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Freezing fruit breaks the cell walls and allows them to release their juices more freely. Do you want more wild yeast?

Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #3
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Never made, but Upland makes a blackberry lambic that is quite good.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ive used them before, I think that they work best in a lambic thats a bit softer as the acidity of the fruit is generally quite high

Old 08-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
SkinnyShamrock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just added 1.5 pounds of blackberries (smashed up in a food processor, almost to the point of being liquid) into my lambic/sour. That was a month ago. The flavor isn't really fruity or sweet, but they are definitely there. The color hasn't been affected too much, either.

"RDWHAHB, right?"
"No, just do it right, damnit!"

Old 08-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
jibby
Recipes 

@jeepinjeepin: My logic is that freshly-picked berries are better because they have naturally occurring wild yeast suited for breaking apart the sugars. I know that this is generally preferred in wine-making, for example.

@Gritsak: I noticed that Upland makes one, though unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to find it in the San Francisco Bay Area :/

@ryane: I can't imagine the acidity of blackberries to be more than the sour cherries used in krieks. But you're probably right, I would think any fruit flavor would be more pronounced in a "soft" lambic.

@SkinnyShamrock: Do you mean 1.5 lb / gallon or in total?