Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cherry Ale - Brewing with Cherry Juice

Old 08-02-2011, 01:57 AM   #11
onthekeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I suppose you don't keg, but I have added 1/2 gallon of fruit juice and racked beer on top before. (It was my priming sugar and flavoring.) I have found that the best fruit flavor comes from using K Meta when racking on top of the juice to kill the yeast and force carbing. It gets real tart by itself in my experience.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #12
catatonicmonkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
I suppose you don't keg, but I have added 1/2 gallon of fruit juice and racked beer on top before. (It was my priming sugar and flavoring.) I have found that the best fruit flavor comes from using K Meta when racking on top of the juice to kill the yeast and force carbing. It gets real tart by itself in my experience.
No kegs, at least not yet. That's a goal of mine down the road, but not a feasible one while living in an apartment. Once I have a place of my own, though... just wait!

Doing some tweaks with online calculators, and it's looking like 5lb/1lb of the extract is approximately the right amount for a beer that'll come right about where I want it, but the calculators I've seen don't really know how to account for juice.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
catatonicmonkey
Recipes 

Update: The SG of my cherry juice seems to be approximately 1.100, which seems a bit high, but the actual sugar content of it is pretty significant, so I guess that's not out of bounds.

With that in mind (and having fiddled with BeerSmith with limited success last night), any thoughts as to what tweaks I'm going to need to make with the recipe to get a good-tasting beer?