Cold crashing sans fridge - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold crashing sans fridge

Old 07-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
May 2011
Chillicothe, Ohio
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know the answer is probably here, but I can't figure out the magic phrase for the search. Anyway...

Can this be done? I'd like to CC my IPAs but can't really afford a fridge/ deepfreeze and temp control gauge. I thought about filling a rubbermaid can w/ ice and CC it college keg party style, but does this need to be done for more than a couple days? Maybe it has to be better temp controlled than that? What's the word?
Fermenting/Aging:Williamette Pale
Bottled: BDSA, Brandon's Brown
On Deck: Birthday IIPA
Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and - Homer

Old 07-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Get off my lawn.
Mar 2009
Peoria, AZ
Liked 1855 Times on 1701 Posts

IMHO that would take a ton of ice and a lot of work - if you could even get it cold enough. Given what you said about not being able to afford it I'd still encourage you to scour Craigs List for a freezer (think cheap) and then build your own temp controller with the instructions listed in this link.
May Whut see him safely through the Pearly Gates half an hour before Crash knows he's dead. - hunter_la5

Whut is a very logical person. Just ask him. Fedora

Old 07-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
May 2011
Des Moines, IA
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

If all you're doing is cold crashing have at it. I wouldn't worry about a temp controller unless you're looking to ferment or lager at a somewhat precise temp.