Burner shutting off -- Why??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJR

Reaction score
I've got a Brinkmann turkey fryer. I just upgraded my BK to a keggle and was going to do a dry run today to see how long it would take to go from ambient to boiling and then back down to pitching temps. Not actually brewing, just testing with plain ol' water.

So I fill the keggle with 12 gallons of water and start the burner. I walk away for a few minutes to supervise a little yardwork, then come back and my burner is out. I relight it and sit and watch. After about 4 minutes, the flame starts getting smaller and goes out.

What gives? The LP tank is full. Could it be a bad thermocouple? Is there a way to bypass the thermocouple? Is that safe to do?

Help me out!:confused:

Its prolly has an auto shut off. I think there was someone on here that had a write up on how to bypass it.

This is my bet as well. There's an auto shut off in case a line blows or something. Sometimes our burners take enough gas that this thing activates. First turn off the tank valve and bleed off the pressure. Then try it with a bit less than full bore.

Its prolly has an auto shut off. I think there was someone on here that had a write up on how to bypass it.

Actually, there's a sensor that the pot normally sits on that will detect an overheating situation. Since no pot was sitting on it, it was overheating and shutting down. Took the leads off, crimped them together, and fired 'er up again. After 24 minutes, it's still going. Looks like problem solved!

Take off the top of the thermocouple. There is a spring loaded "circuit breaker" for the red button. It comes out easily. Remove the bottom rubber gasket, the spring and the brass washer. Put the breaker back in and screw the cap back on. That's it. Sounds like it's hard to do but it is not.

Washer.jpg

Back