Bread/Sourdough with Brewing yeast! - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Bread/Sourdough with Brewing yeast!

Old 10-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6616 Times on 3909 Posts

I made a sourdough starter from the trub from a Berliner Weisse I had made. Saccharomyces and lacto are the perfect team in making sourdough. The resulting loaves of sourdough bread came out delicious.

Newsman Likes This 
Old 10-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
Hayseed
Recipes 

Aug 2013
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My buddy gave me a start from his starter he started on his window sill with water and home milled flour . Mixed it in a bowl , covered with cheese cloth and just made sure it didnt dry out . Couple days later it was bubbling .

Ive been making bread once a week with it for over six months now and not been buying any bread ! Man is it good ! Just water , starter , flour , salt ! Easy to make no knead bread !

Melana Likes This 
Old 10-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Walnut Creek, CA
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

So the update is--

Feeding the starter every 24 hours. Yesterday lots of CO2 bubbles and a great sour smell. I actually started a no knead loaf yesterday afternoon with some of the starter. I think I am going to try to put the next loaf in the fridge to get it really sour. There are currently a few hours to go in the 18 hour rise. I should have fresh sourdough by this evening after the baking/cooling period.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Walnut Creek, CA

Baked the bread and let cool for 2 hours. I really like how it turned out (and its already half gone!). Nice crumb and crust in the La Cloche. Crumb is chewy and elastic like the bread you would find in SF. Best part is that with a warm 18 hour rise it was plenty sour! I am actually quite surprised, but I am going to try a slower rise in the fridge for tomorrow to see if I can amp up the sourness even more.

BikerBrewer Likes This 
Old 10-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Walnut Creek, CA

So I did put loaf #2 in fridge overnight. It actually came out with very little sourness which is odd, but looked amazing! Loaf #3 is proofing now. Should be plenty sour!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Walnut Creek, CA

Loaf 3 came out nice and sour, so I think I am going to stick with my 18 hour slow rise at room temp. My starter has also begun to distinctively smell like sour cherries. Rad!

Old 03-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #17
spyfarm
Recipes 

Mar 2016

I am a home brewer and bread baker. I was interested in the use of commercial beer yeast for sourdough, so I ended up here.

A little background: I used to trap wild yeast back in the 70's from high alpine meadows for my sourdough starters. I have been home brewing since then too.

Currently, I have a rye sourdough starter that I have been using for a very dark rye bread. Interestingly enough, this starter culture was not inoculated with any yeast strain, just the natural yeast that either accompanied the malted rye I had double ground at my brew supplier's or was floating around my house.

Combining brewing and bread making knowledge came natural to me. I started on the dark rye bread adventure by seeking out a basic Eastern European sourdough recipe. I stumbled upon a website for Lithuanian Black Rye Bread: http://http://www.gourmantineblog.co...ack-rye-bread/. This recipe has become my cornerstone for baking sourdough rye bread.

The process used in this Lithuanian Black Rye Bread recipe is unique and works successfully. It is a two day affair before you have bread (if you have starter prepared), but for us brewers being patient is part of the game. Following the recipe exactly the first time I used it; there was a less than perfect loaf. I had used Bob's Red Mill stone ground rye flour for the starter and the recipe. The starter was not as active as most of my other sourdough starters and even had a slightly off smell.

Thinking back on my first try at Lithuanian Black Rye Bread, immediately I knew that the starter had to be more active to make a better product. Off to the local brew supply to get some freshly ground malted rye. When brewing, I figured that the freshly ground rye should be mashed before it started. I used an insulated travel mug as a mash-tun, since I was using only 100gm of grain and 150ml of 70c water for 45min. Bingo! A nice and active starter. Thus I say: Don't for get to mash grain for sourdough starter.

The Lithuanian Black Rye Bread recipe calls for, as an option, 35gm of malt powder. I use 35gm of Briess spraymalt and figure it is feeding the starter used in the recipe. I have also amended the recipe include 50gm of Roasted Barley 690-700L and replaced 50gm of flour with my brew shop's double ground malted rye for texture (+ the starter has texture).

There's still snow on the high mountains here in New Mexico, so it will be a while before I can get up into the high country to trap yeast. I am complantating a new sourdough starter using double ground red wheat from my brew supplier. Does anybody have a suggestion for a brew yeast to inoculate my wheat with?

Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #18
Zibe
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Sandusky, Ohio
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Don't want to hijack but.......
Trying to get into the sourdough game I made a starter just with equal parts flour and water which I added to each day. I seemed to get it going naturally started getting bubbles and such around day three but then about day five (according to the article I read it should be ready then) it just got real soupy and the bubbles stopped even though I fed it again. There was a brownish liquid on top which I would assume is beer-ish that I poured off. Smells funky but not nasty. Any tips?

Old 06-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #19
Zibe
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Sandusky, Ohio
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Or is this normal, I wanted to try a loaf in a few days.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #20
Funkychef
Recipes 

Jun 2014
in the mountains with the bears, Nagano
Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts

It will take a week or 2 before a starter is ready. Mine did the same just keep feeding it. In a a couple of days it will come back. You will get different microbes in there some will die off and others will thrive. It takes a while for it to balance out, once it does you will be ready.