Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Water Filters

Old 03-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Default Water Filters

I'm not one to get too geeked up about water profiles for my brewing process but for those that are I got a question. 1st off, AG brewer here for those that don't know that. My whole house is on a water softener including outside hose lines. Currently I get the water from in the house via carbon filter in the kitchen sink and lug it outside to heat.

Anyways, I'm looking to buy a water filtering system for my 3-tier so I can attach a garden hose to the filter and get the water into the HLT. I went to Home D and Walfart to look for something but am not sure what would be best to buy:

Walmart one I saw was http://www.omnifilter.com/whole_house.htm#U25
Home D was I believe this one http://www.geappliances.com/smartwat...fs.htm?GXWH04F

I naturally want to get rid of the garden hose factor but not sure if these filters are the right kind to go for or if I got to spend more ka-ching on something else. Both go for around $30 but the Omni replacement cartridges are $5 ea and the GE's are $10 ea.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

I can't tell on the GE, but the omni filters are high flow rate, which means the water goes through the sidewall and only about 1/4 inch of activated charcoal. I prefer a cartridge that flows from the bottom to the top forcing the water through 8 inches of charcoal. You can spot them easily, the sides are solid and the bottom has an inlet grid.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
Paperface
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Go to walmart and look in the RV section. I bought a RV water filter (under the name of TastePure) that attaches inline to the garden hose. It's a fancy schmancy charcoal filter with some other things too. Only costs 17 bucks and it's supposed to last the whole "season", which i assume is 4-6 months. It has worked great so far. I attach it to my outdoor spigot and it does a fantastic job of removing the metal and chlorine taste. Also, it has a very high flow rate, not like the little trickles as from a PUR sink filter. It's only a little slower than the max output of the hose.

Cheap and easy.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Jeff, if you want to go ghetto, do the water filter that is in one of the recent BYO mags. I run it on my system. It was kind of hard to find the filter but it is compact and actually works nicely.

Do you get BYO?
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Jeff, if you want to go ghetto, do the water filter that is in one of the recent BYO mags. I run it on my system. It was kind of hard to find the filter but it is compact and actually works nicely.

Do you get BYO?
Negative on BYO but positive on ghetto . Where did you end up getting it? I kind of want to mount it though and I may actually do a cpvc run since I got all the stuff to do that instead of buying the rv hose so maybe not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperface
Go to walmart and look in the RV section. I bought a RV water filter (under the name of TastePure) that attaches inline to the garden hose. It's a fancy schmancy charcoal filter with some other things too. Only costs 17 bucks and it's supposed to last the whole "season", which i assume is 4-6 months. It has worked great so far. I attach it to my outdoor spigot and it does a fantastic job of removing the metal and chlorine taste. Also, it has a very high flow rate, not like the little trickles as from a PUR sink filter. It's only a little slower than the max output of the hose.

Cheap and easy.
Walmart has a RV section? Sporting goods? Might look into this too. Mountable? EDIT - just saw that your response was a link.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
Negative on BYO but positive on ghetto . Where did you end up getting it? I kind of want to mount it though and I may actually do a cpvc run since I got all the stuff to do that instead of buying the rv hose so maybe not?
I had to order the filter from Culligan because I couldn't find it locally. But the entire project was under 20 bucks. The filter has a 10,000 gallon life to it, so it is well worth it.

I will scan the article for you if you want it. It has a part number for the filter and a good write-up on how to build it. I have mine mounted with zip ties--because the pipes aren't really conducive to mounting. But really, for the price, it works like a charm. It was a great project.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-29-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
gERgMan
Recipes 

Do these water filters you are all talking about remove the mineral content of the water as well? And if so, it sounds like you would treat the water as being "pure" and need to substitute necessary ions/minerals for the proper mash, yeast, etc.

Dude, what issue of BYO was that? I am not a subscriber, but buy it once and a while. Sounds like you have found a successful system.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Dude, I built one from the BYO article myself, do you have a trick to keep it from flying apart? The only method I have found is turning it down to about 1 gallon/minute.

It was fun figuring out that it needed to be turned down, thank god the wife wasn't around.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #9
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The filter I use is a carbon filter, removes a lot of the heavy metals and chlorine from the water. A little bit of yeast nutrient restores the metals that are needed, good idea to use it anyway.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gERgMan
Do these water filters you are all talking about remove the mineral content of the water as well? And if so, it sounds like you would treat the water as being "pure" and need to substitute necessary ions/minerals for the proper mash, yeast, etc.
My understanding is that they mostly remove chlorine and chloramides. If you want mineral-free water (or close to it), you need to use distilled water (or dilute your water w/ distilled water.)

This can be problematic, though: some of the minerals that reverse osmosis removes are important for yeast nutrition. I'd never use pure distilled water, although I may experiment someday with a 50/50 mix to Pilsenize my water.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale