Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency linked to crush, temps, and water volume?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
37OliveStBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Efficiency linked to crush, temps, and water volume?

Hi all,
I have been all grain brewing with precrushed grain up until now and have always been very close to the suggested SG. However yesterday I milled my own grain for the first time with a Corona mill. The recipe suggested a SG of 1.065 but I hit 1.050 (water temps and volume were all spot on). My guess is that I need to adjust the crush on my mill. Would you agree this is where my major problem lies? I did find a fair amount of uncrushed grain in my spent grain, so my guess is I need to go finer.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
EBloom97
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, the corona mill is a bit fickle. Some grain goes through completely uncrushed and the some gets pulverized into flour. If you're interested in crushing your own grain, I'd say anything less than a Barley Crusher is probably a waste of time.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 851 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37OliveStBrews View Post
I did find a fair amount of uncrushed grain in my spent grain, so my guess is I need to go finer.
If you have uncrushed grain, you absolutely need to crush more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBloom97 View Post
Yeah, the corona mill is a bit fickle. Some grain goes through completely uncrushed and the some gets pulverized into flour. If you're interested in crushing your own grain, I'd say anything less than a Barley Crusher is probably a waste of time.
Umm....Revvy, price check isle 9 please.