Cooper's Starter Kit question - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cooper's Starter Kit question

Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
the_Sliver
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Montreal, Quebec

Hi guys! Another newbie here .

My dad got me a Cooper's DIY Beer kit last weekend as I have never brewed beer before but am extremely intrigued by the hobby .

I am now on day 3 of primary fermentation and things seem to be going great. According to the instructions, it says to bottle it when the specific gravity is stable (6 - 8 days) which is all well and good. When bottling it, I'm to add their Carbonation Drops to the bottles to get the next stage of fermentation going.

My question is: since it's not a carboy (it's a big plastic bucket with a nozzle on the bottom), how should I go about adding any priming sugar to my next batch of beer when it comes time to bottle? Will I be forced to buy more carbonation drops every time?

Old 07-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
the_Sliver
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Montreal, Quebec

Bump.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3702 Times on 3177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Sliver View Post

My dad got me a Cooper's DIY Beer kit last weekend as I have never brewed beer before but am extremely intrigued by the hobby .

I am now on day 3 of primary fermentation and things seem to be going great. According to the instructions, it says to bottle it when the specific gravity is stable (6 - 8 days) which is all well and good. When bottling it, I'm to add their Carbonation Drops to the bottles to get the next stage of fermentation going.

My question is: since it's not a carboy (it's a big plastic bucket with a nozzle on the bottom), how should I go about adding any priming sugar to my next batch of beer when it comes time to bottle? Will I be forced to buy more carbonation drops every time?
The OS lager will not be done that soon. Mine took 12 days to get my 1st FG. Their instructions,like many,are a bit off,way too rushed. I'd do an FG test in 12-14 days,then wait till 2nd or 3rd day to test again. Then 2 carb drops per PET bottle (cooper's). Next time,get yourself a bottling bucket for bulk priming. In that scenario,you could take the bottling wand,remove the valve on the end,& stick it in the spout of the spigot as usual. Then,take some 3/8" tubing & place one end over the wand,the other end curled half way around the bottom of the bottling bucket.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Taypo
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Wylie, TX
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

AFAIK you're going to need drops without a second bucket. We ran into the same problem on our first batch, got a bare bones kit with one bucket (future expansions to come) and will have to carb drop that batch.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
the_Sliver
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Montreal, Quebec

Hmm... okay.

Looks like I'm going to have to look into getting myself a bottling bucket. I did some searching online and found a store that sells brewing supplies relatively nearby. I'll probably pick up the bucket as well as some ingredients to start experimenting . Hopefully, whatever workers that are there can help me out with getting some tubing that fits the spout.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
PHillBrewCo
Recipes 

Oct 2009
NJ, USA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Hmm... okay.

Looks like I'm going to have to look into getting myself a bottling bucket. I did some searching online and found a store that sells brewing supplies relatively nearby. I'll probably pick up the bucket as well as some ingredients to start experimenting . Hopefully, whatever workers that are there can help me out with getting some tubing that fits the spout.

Thanks
You have a bottling bucket! I use a coopers bucket with the "little bottler" to bottle. Get yourself a 6 gallon primary bucket (without spigot) for about $12 or make an investment of about $50 for a 6 gallon glass carboy.. Get an auto-siphon too

Old 07-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
C-Rider

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Wai, Hawaii
Liked 309 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:

Regardless of the instructions:
1-let it ferment for 2-3 weeks
2-3 weeks in bottle at 70*
3-2-4 days in refer at drinking temp
Bottled in the refe: Black IPA
Bottled in the refe: Old Glory Stout
Bottled in the refe: American Imperial Stout
Bottled in the refer: Dunkelweizen
Bottled in the refer Oktoberfest

Old 07-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
unionrdr

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHillBrewCo View Post
You have a bottling bucket! I use a coopers bucket with the "little bottler" to bottle. Get yourself a 6 gallon primary bucket (without spigot) for about $12 or make an investment of about $50 for a 6 gallon glass carboy.. Get an auto-siphon too
When I was still using the little bottler on the cooper's fermenter,I noticed it stopped draining at the lower level of the spigot. 4-6 bottles were still in there. So I made a bottling bucket with the spigot hole nearer to the bottom. I can tilt it slightly to get all but a couple TBSP's out of it. And that'll have the grainy stuff settled out in it.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
PHillBrewCo
Recipes 

Oct 2009
NJ, USA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
When I was still using the little bottler on the cooper's fermenter,I noticed it stopped draining at the lower level of the spigot. 4-6 bottles were still in there. So I made a bottling bucket with the spigot hole nearer to the bottom. I can tilt it slightly to get all but a couple TBSP's out of it. And that'll have the grainy stuff settled out in it.
Sounds good! I know that the little bottler isn't the best. It's a little leaky too. But I have had success with tilting the bucket a little when it gets down around the spigot level.. I think I might have taken it a little too far with my last batch though because my 55th bottle was not quite full. I actually drank that bottle early on and it was not that pleasant tasting but the rest of the bottles have been great from that batch and I'm more than happy to get 54 bottles out of 5 gallons...

Old 07-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
unionrdr

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio

Just so you know,19L= 5G,23L = 6G. I get a maximum of 66 bottles if there isn't too much trub from my cooper's micro brew FV. I had some more trub & whole leaf dry hop soak up some ale this last time. I still got 64 bottles of IPA. The cooper's kits are 6G,or 23L as well. It's the kits made over here that are 5G,or 19L.