Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 1 week later... is there still hope for my cider?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #21
JasonOdd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post
I hope it's worth the price of the cider! I'm waiting on your experience to convince me to get some cider from Minea farms. My wife will be considerably more accepting of my latest brewing obsession if I make some amazing cider.
I don't know if I screwed up something in the process or not, but after back sweetening and kegging it, it's horrible. The smell is rank and it tastes like the smell with a hint of the frozen concentrate. I won't drop that kind of coin on juice again. Currently I have 5 gallons of undrinkable cider sitting in a 5 gallon keg hoping that, given time, it will be drinkable.

The apple cider I made with Safeway juice is great and much cheaper. It tastes like the lighter Spire Apple Cider and was fast to run out.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #22
Kahler
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How long did it condition before you drank it? My ciders tastes pretty bad before theyre aged. I condition for no less than two months before tasting.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #23
JasonOdd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It sat in primary for about 3 weeks and secondary for 2. Now it's been in the keg at room temp for about 3 more weeks. It didn't even taste like cider, just whatever that smell it gave off during fermentation that made the whole house unpleasant.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #24
frydogbrews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

thats hydrogen sulfide, fermenting fruits, especially apples, can throw off that scent if teh yeast is slightly stressed. its normal for it to smell a little like that during ferment, but if it becomes strong, you need to de-gas or it is ruined. i dumped a 5 gal of peary, because it wasn't coming back from it.
that smell/flavor won't age out, it actually gets a little worse with age.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #25
JasonOdd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd say the smell was "strong".. we couldn't have people over and avoided the family room for 2 solid weeks. It'll be nice to have that keg back.

I wonder if it'll be good for the lawn?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #26
frydogbrews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

if you have any berry bushes, like raspberries or blueberries they would love it because of the acid. rhododendrons and azaleas too.