Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Very active fermentation - Questions

Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
epcgordy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Very active fermentation - Questions

I brewed my first AG IPA on Saturday, and the results so far have been pretty amazing. I had an OG of 1.062, which is quite a bit higher than the 1.040 - 1.050 brews I've been doing. I pitched Wyeast 1332 NW Ale Yeast that I had slanted, and built up a starter from. I had the fastest starting, and most vigorous fermentation I've experienced yet. I had airlock activity in less than 3 hours, and by the next morning, the krausen was trying to eject the airlock altogether.

Since this was the first time I built up a starter form this yeast, as well as the first IPA I've done, it got me wondering if the huge amount of activity was a more a result of the type of yeast, the starter, or just the higher gravity than I've been used to.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Brandonovich
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It's a combination of a good yeast starter and the higher gravity.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Clementine
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonovich View Post
It's a combination of a good yeast starter and the higher gravity.
+1

When you are growing from a slant you are getting the freshest yeast possible, no chance of heat damage or extend shelf live effecting viability, and like me you probably where a bit nervous about getting enough yeast so you calculate and calculate how much you need vice other people by a vial/pack and make a starter and pitch not really think about the process of how viable the yeast are etc etc.

I call my yeast farm my pets (yes you guys and my wife think I'm insane) but if you look after you yeast, then they look after you!

Clem

Old 07-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
epcgordy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In general then, would you expect more/faster activity as the OG gets higher? This wasn't the first brew using this yeast, just the first one built up from a slant. since previous brews were tame by comparison, I'm wondering if I should use a different yeast the next time I make this recipe. I've never had anything like this using the 1056.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Clementine
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just did my first batch with slanted yeast WLP001, it was a 10 gallon batch and the final step was 2.6L starter (biggest bottle I could find to make it in was 3L) It blew off everywhere, I had it in a pan of water just in case this happened. It also is the most active fermentation I have had.

Clem