I recently had the pleasure of trying Blue Point's RastafaRye Ale, a red rye ale and have been itching to get started on a similar style ever since.
Brewed 10 gallons of this last weekend and went with the following (slightly modified) grain bill:
14 lbs 2-row
2 lbs German Munich
2 lbs Rye Malt
1 lb Crystal 120
4 oz Special B
8 oz Caramunich
4 oz Carapils
3 lbs Flaked Rye
Single infusion for 60 minutes @ 152
2 oz Columbus (pellet) - 1 oz @ 60, .5 @ 30, .5 @ 5
Per Reciprator, my estimated starting gravity was 1.059, and I suppose my efficiency was better as I got a 1.062 SG! This was my first AG batch with my own crush - which I went with 30mm. The carapils probably wasn't necessary, but I definitely wanted some mouthfeel to this one. We'll see how it goes.
Speaking of which, though I should've been smarter about it, I didn't throw in any rice hulls and ended up with an extremely slow sparge. Given how this turns out, I'll definitely mash with hulls on my next wheat/rye batch. I ended up starting the boil @ 11 gallons and just let the 2nd runnings drain into the boil the entire 60 minutes - not sure if it was a waste of time or not, but with a lower boil, I ended up with a full 10 gallons. I might have a slightly cloudy result, but as long as it tastes good, that's all I care about.
The SG sample tasted excellent.
GrassLands craft brewery-in-planning has a website!! All kinds of Awesome! Check it, son!