American Amber Ale Red Rye Ale - Page 12 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Amber Ale Red Rye Ale

Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #111
snyklez
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I noticed while looking at the actual website that the OP listed this as a 6 gallon batch. It didn't show up on the iPhone app. For those that brewed this per recipe, did you go with 6 gallons pre or post boil? I've got a 7.5 gallon kettle and I don't think I could pull off getting 6 gallons post boil without either topping off or having a major boil over. I'd rather not top off or adjust the grain bill. I'm hoping OP meant boil 6 gallons.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #112
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Eugene, Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyklez
I noticed while looking at the actual website that the OP listed this as a 6 gallon batch. It didn't show up on the iPhone app. For those that brewed this per recipe, did you go with 6 gallons pre or post boil? I've got a 7.5 gallon kettle and I don't think I could pull off getting 6 gallons post boil without either topping off or having a major boil over. I'd rather not top off or adjust the grain bill. I'm hoping OP meant boil 6 gallons.
6 gal post-boil. You could scale the recipe down, or buy a bigger kettle. I've recommended to anyone who has asked me to go with a 10+ gal kettle. Even if you don't do gigantic beers, having that much headroom is nice

Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #113
sparksanthony
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Roanoke, Virginia
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks like a very solid recipe. Gonna brew this one very soon, I love spicy Rye beers, but haven't got around to brewing one yet. Scaling it up to 9 gallons on the website I use.

Had a couple questions for some of you that have brewed this one...

Has anyone used a yeast other than Notty (I saw one of Denny's yeasts back a few pages)? I have thought about WLP002 (1st choice), maybe 001, and after some research WLP041 (which I haven't used yet). Don't have access to Wyeast at my LHBS, only Danstar, Ferm, and White Labs.

I was also thinking about using a fair amount of Cara-red or Melanoidin (neither of which I have used) to give it the beautiful reddish hue that I have only read about. Plan to possibly use 12-16oz in a 9 gallon batch. Is that enough to make a difference (in color) or should I use more? Also have read that the CR is similar to Crystal malt (20L) in flavor, if I use this should I scale back a touch on the C120 (not that C20 and C120 are similar in flavor)?? Will the melanoidin make it too malty??

Old 03-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #114
SouthtownsBrewing2011
Recipes 

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksanthony View Post
Looks like a very solid recipe. Gonna brew this one very soon, I love spicy Rye beers, but haven't got around to brewing one yet. Scaling it up to 9 gallons on the website I use.

Had a couple questions for some of you that have brewed this one...

Has anyone used a yeast other than Notty (I saw one of Denny's yeasts back a few pages)? I have thought about WLP002 (1st choice), maybe 001, and after some research WLP041 (which I haven't used yet). Don't have access to Wyeast at my LHBS, only Danstar, Ferm, and White Labs.

I was also thinking about using a fair amount of Cara-red or Melanoidin (neither of which I have used) to give it the beautiful reddish hue that I have only read about. Plan to possibly use 12-16oz in a 9 gallon batch. Is that enough to make a difference (in color) or should I use more? Also have read that the CR is similar to Crystal malt (20L) in flavor, if I use this should I scale back a touch on the C120 (not that C20 and C120 are similar in flavor)?? Will the melanoidin make it too malty??
I brewed this one and used Nottingham yeast from danstar and it was perrrrfect!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #115
golfduke
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

I just brewed this and pitched on some cleaned WY1968 from an ESB. I particularly chose this yeast to see if I can get that gorgeous red hue without sitting on it for months. It's by far the best flocculating yeast I've ever used. I figure it will work pretty well.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #116
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2012
Windsor, CO
Liked 591 Times on 431 Posts

I brewed this last fall with Wyeast 1272. It was a big hit at the office Christmas party. I plan to brew it again in a few months.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #117
jschumacher
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Orting, WA

I brewed this using WLP001 and it turned out fantastic.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #118
Schumed

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Kansas City, Mo
Liked 81 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschumacher
I brewed this using WLP001 and it turned out fantastic.
Just saying hi to a fellow Schumacher

Old 04-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #119
Schumed

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Kansas City, Mo
Liked 81 Times on 67 Posts

Anyone enter this into a competition?

Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #120
BlackFurnaceBrewing
Recipes 

Apr 2013
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Based on the comments here, I am going to add this to this summer's list. Anyone have any water profile info that worked really well for them on this recipe?