I might be an idiot. Forgot Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xSpeaker

Reaction score
Brewed a higher gravity belgian a couple weeks back, forgot .5oz of the .75oz hop addition @30 mins (they were in different bags). I remembered both the @60min and @5min.

I realize that only time will tell if this will screw me and I should probably relax, but was wondering if dry hopping the last few days in secondary would work to balance the beer out?

Any comments/feedback welcome. Thanks.

Don't even worry about it. Worst case scenario, it doesn't taste as hoppy. More likely scenario, you can't even tell the difference.

If you forgot the 30 minute hops, the beer will have lost some bittering and not flavor hops. The only issue is that the beer may end up being too sweet due to the lack of bittering. It really depends on how many AAUs were in those "lost" bittering hops. Dryhopping won't help because the 30 minute hops aren't giving you aroma and flavor but instead bitterness.

If the beer is too sweet after it's finished, you may be able to help correct it by boiling up some hops in a little water to extract some bittering and add that to the beer. But I'd wait and see before trying to fix something. Since 30 minute hops aren't fully isomerized, you may only be short a very few IBUs.

Back