Super-Yeast, or is something else going on?) - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Super-Yeast, or is something else going on?)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
kladue
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Turner, Oregon, Oregon most of the time now
Posts: 2,305
Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts


Two questions, have you checked the calibration on the thermometer, and are you using O2 injection for aeration. Have had similar results before during the learning curve on how much O2 to use in 6 gallon batches.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue
Two questions, have you checked the calibration on the thermometer, and are you using O2 injection for aeration. Have had similar results before during the learning curve on how much O2 to use in 6 gallon batches.
That was my initial thought as well but he mentioned that the wort was tested at the LHBS with the same results.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
shlap
 
shlap's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 168
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
That was my initial thought as well but he mentioned that the wort was tested at the LHBS with the same results.
Right, I actually brought a sample in to the LHBS and he checked it with his own equipment with the same result.

I DID use champagne yeast at one time in my house about a year ago. I had a few Chimay clones that spent 3 months in the bottle and still wouldn't carbonate because of the high alcohol so I opened 6 bottles and put a tiny pinch of champagne yeast in them.

I brew outside though and pour the wort from the kettle to my primary outside. Is it possible, with a fan blowing on my primary, that some wild champagne yeast is getting in through the airlock?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #14
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shlap
I DID use champagne yeast at one time in my house about a year ago. I had a few Chimay clones that spent 3 months in the bottle and still wouldn't carbonate because of the high alcohol so I opened 6 bottles and put a tiny pinch of champagne yeast in them.

I brew outside though and pour the wort from the kettle to my primary outside. Is it possible, with a fan blowing on my primary, that some wild champagne yeast is getting in through the airlock?
You never know, but I doubt it would get through the airlock. Most likely if it did get some it was during transfer just after cooling or got blown into your primary when the lid was off. I always keep my lid on as a rule after I have sanitized and always avoid strong air currents. It really does sound to me like you got some kind of airborne yeast in there. One interesting thing though is if it tastes good and doesn't ferment you all the way out it might be worth culturing if this is indeed the case. It might be fun to play with.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #15
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Brewpastor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Corrales, New Mexico
Posts: 4,575
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts


Does the beer taste clean? What I am getting at is the possibility of wild yeast.

A 1.056 OG mashed at 160, even being all 2-row without any specialty grains is going to have a hard time getting that low. What was your pitching volume?

I am puzzled here and almost think you should just keep brewing and see what happens. Watch the water/grain ratio, the mash temp, the pitching rate, all the usual suspects and see what happens.

That or start marketing IPA Dry.
__________________
Before I learned to brew I was poor, sober and lonely. Now I am just poor.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #16
kladue
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Turner, Oregon, Oregon most of the time now
Posts: 2,305
Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts


About the only common factor would be the airborne exposure during transfer or a thermometer that is reading 5-10 degrees higher than actual temp. Might be able to get the FG numbers if mash temp was between 140-150 degrees and had a long conversion rest. Might want to check thermometer in boiling water to see if readings are accurate.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:46 PM   #17
shlap
 
shlap's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 168
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
Does the beer taste clean? What I am getting at is the possibility of wild yeast.

A 1.056 OG mashed at 160, even being all 2-row without any specialty grains is going to have a hard time getting that low. What was your pitching volume?

I am puzzled here and almost think you should just keep brewing and see what happens. Watch the water/grain ratio, the mash temp, the pitching rate, all the usual suspects and see what happens.

That or start marketing IPA Dry.
It tastes very clean. I also double-checked the themometer on the last batch by using two different thermometers in the MT (I guess they could both be off but doubtfull).

As far as sanitation, from kettle to primary, here's my process:

I do everything in my garage...
As soon as the 60 min boil is finished, I put the lid on and submerge the lower 3/4 in icewater. Then I fill my primary up to the top with water/iodophore and leave it sit until my kettle cools to about 78 which takes about 45min. When the kettle is cool enough, I empty the iodophore from the primary, take the lid off the kettle, and pour the wort in.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:53 AM   #18
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Brewpastor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Corrales, New Mexico
Posts: 4,575
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts


Keep brewing and see what happens. It sounds like you have the right stuff going, so just keep pushing ahead and don't worry about all of this.
__________________
Before I learned to brew I was poor, sober and lonely. Now I am just poor.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:12 AM   #19
shlap
 
shlap's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 168
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
Keep brewing and see what happens. It sounds like you have the right stuff going, so just keep pushing ahead and don't worry about all of this.
Definitely will... I just got home and poured a glass of the amber, a Fat Tire clone, from the keg... this stuff just keeps getting better. Great head and it's really cleared up now and mellowed out... tastes extremely close to the real deal but better head and lacing the whole way down the glass. Mmmmm...beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:23 AM   #20
perry
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
Posts: 218

I'm just going to chime in and say I only wish I could get TG's that low, but I really like dry beer... I'm quite happy with a terminal of 8-10, and based on the fact that your beer seems to be getting better and better.... well, maybe it IS equipment error!

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to brew a super high gravity beer with white labs yeast... kingbb69 Extract Brewing 12 12-05-2009 04:59 PM
Best Yeast for super malty taste? ApolloSpeed Recipes/Ingredients 9 03-25-2009 03:47 PM
SUPER YEAST 40 proof (20%abv) Old_Brewer General Techniques 10 01-07-2008 03:52 PM
super noob mistake, killing yeast with high gravity? miatawnt2b Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 10-16-2007 12:44 PM
Super Yeast Alcopops mileswilliams Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 07-08-2006 01:22 PM


Forum Jump