Munich Helles Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note) - Page 54 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Lager Recipes > Munich Helles Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #531
BPhad
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Will County, Illinois
Posts: 241
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts


Made this all grain with wyeast pack of rogue pacman yeast. Used a 1.5 liter starter and it took off in hours, by the 3 rd day it all seemed to drop. Is this normal for pacman ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #532
HeuristicsInc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
HeuristicsInc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 89
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I didn't make a starter.
I brewed the extract version on Sunday. My LHBS didn't have Pacman, so the guy there recommended that WLP001 California Ale would be a good substitute. So I checked on their website, and it wants to ferment between 70-75 (which is good since that's my basement's ambient temperature) and the FAQ says that you don't need a starter for up to OG 1.070. So I looked at the recipe and Yooper's recipe said hers had OG 1.066, so I figured I was okay. And I was under some schedule constraints, so I didn't have the extra days to start.
Anyway, after I finished the boil and cooldown, my OG turned out to be 1.072... recommended starter. But by then it was too late. So it's been fermenting nicely (had to add the blowoff tube), but as I understand it, the issue would be when the alcohol levels get high closer to the end of fermentation. Should I do something? I have heard you can add more yeast to help things along, but I'd need to make another trip to LHBS.
Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!
-bill
__________________
Bottled - Brachiosaurus Brown IPA
Bottled - Archaeopteryx American Amber
Bottled - Spinosaurus Saison

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #533
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,420
Liked 7845 Times on 5497 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BPhad View Post
Made this all grain with wyeast pack of rogue pacman yeast. Used a 1.5 liter starter and it took off in hours, by the 3 rd day it all seemed to drop. Is this normal for pacman ?
Yes, it seems to work hard and fast. That seems about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeuristicsInc View Post
I didn't make a starter.
I brewed the extract version on Sunday. My LHBS didn't have Pacman, so the guy there recommended that WLP001 California Ale would be a good substitute. So I checked on their website, and it wants to ferment between 70-75 (which is good since that's my basement's ambient temperature) and the FAQ says that you don't need a starter for up to OG 1.070. So I looked at the recipe and Yooper's recipe said hers had OG 1.066, so I figured I was okay. And I was under some schedule constraints, so I didn't have the extra days to start.
Anyway, after I finished the boil and cooldown, my OG turned out to be 1.072... recommended starter. But by then it was too late. So it's been fermenting nicely (had to add the blowoff tube), but as I understand it, the issue would be when the alcohol levels get high closer to the end of fermentation. Should I do something? I have heard you can add more yeast to help things along, but I'd need to make another trip to LHBS.
Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!
-bill
Well, a starter should be used for any beer above about 1.040 no matter what their website says. Check mrmalty.com for a good yeast pitching calculator that isn't from one of the yeast manufacturers. If it's fermenting now, then there isn't much you can do about it at this point. Hopefully the yeast was healthy and didn't create many off-flavors from the underpitching.

But I'd check again on the temperature for fermentation. The best info on that strain is right on the website:
WLP001 California Ale Yeast
This yeast is famous for its clean flavors, balance and ability to be used in almost any style ale. It accentuates the hop flavors and is extremely versatile.
Attenuation: 73-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73F
(20-23C)

I'd keep it no higher than 68 degrees, but I've done it lower with good results. If the ambient temperature is, say, 70 degrees, an active fermentation could easily be 80 degrees, which is way way too warm. I try to keep the ambient for ales at about 62 degrees.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #534
HeuristicsInc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
HeuristicsInc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 89
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Hmm... well, the thermometer on the side of the fermenter says 72... are you saying that the temperature inside is not represented by that 72, but is higher than that? Sorry, I am not an expert
-bill
__________________
Bottled - Brachiosaurus Brown IPA
Bottled - Archaeopteryx American Amber
Bottled - Spinosaurus Saison

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #535
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,420
Liked 7845 Times on 5497 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HeuristicsInc View Post
Hmm... well, the thermometer on the side of the fermenter says 72... are you saying that the temperature inside is not represented by that 72, but is higher than that? Sorry, I am not an expert
-bill
No, that's pretty close. But when fermentation starts, it can get really warm really fast so keep an eye on it.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #536
HeuristicsInc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
HeuristicsInc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 89
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Also interesting, I re-checked the yeast bottle and it does say 70-75, which is different from the website's 68-73. Well, from my frequent checks on the fermenter temp it has been in that range the whole time, so that's something anyway. I can always keep it in the bottles longer to try to mellow it.
Thanks for your help. Probably I should look into some sort of cooler for the next time. Right now I depend on the basement temps.
-bill
__________________
Bottled - Brachiosaurus Brown IPA
Bottled - Archaeopteryx American Amber
Bottled - Spinosaurus Saison

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #537
BPhad
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Will County, Illinois
Posts: 241
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts


Thanks Yooper this is one of my best and most popular beers.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2543467940.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	71475

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #539
BPhad
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Will County, Illinois
Posts: 241
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts


Brewing another batch this weekend

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #540
HeuristicsInc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
HeuristicsInc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 89
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Bottled this last night. It bottomed out at 1.023, so it's sweeter than the presented recipe, but I think it tastes good anyway. If I make this one again I'll use the starter!
-bill
__________________
Bottled - Brachiosaurus Brown IPA
Bottled - Archaeopteryx American Amber
Bottled - Spinosaurus Saison

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Brown Note Clone recipe mikebrown123 Recipes/Ingredients 1 08-05-2016 03:03 PM
Dead Guy Clone Dead? Dougie63 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 16 09-03-2012 04:53 AM
C Note IIPA clone muthafuggle Recipes/Ingredients 1 07-21-2011 11:13 PM
Dead guy clone recipe [extract] vleri General Beer Discussion 2 11-28-2008 11:24 PM
Mirror Pond or Rogue Dead Guy Ale Extract Clone Rockweezy Recipes/Ingredients 2 03-10-2007 05:27 AM


Forum Jump