Best way to bring up alcohol content - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best way to bring up alcohol content

Old 07-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
kenpotf
Recipes 

May 2011
mckinney, tx
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm interested to hear what the best way is to increase alcohol content. I know you need sugar, but I'm wondering how much sugar (DME). Is DME the best route to go? I want the beer to be balanced and not all alcohol, but I'm thinking about modifying a recipe by adding more hops and some DME to increase the alcohol content.

So, what do you normally do?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
jclaine
Recipes 

Jul 2011
, Minnesnota

Well, how much do you want to increase the % by? A pound of DME will increase your ABV by .8%

If your doing an extract, use DME or LME to get your ABV up, not brown, or table sugar.

From what I have read (please let me know if I am wrong here) if you don't want to affect the body of the beer but want to get the final gravity a little higher you can have up to 7% of the total grist be corn sugar.

My brewing practice with 95% of other's recipes has been add more grain and hops, but I am a hophead and like big beers.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
cmoon

Recipes 

Jan 2010
LA

The simplest way is simply to add a little more DME/LME. Unless you're ready to jump into the deep end of the pool (or have a beer program like beer smith) I wouldn't even bother adjusting hops or any of your specialty grains.) For instance, if you have a recipe for a 6% beer and you want to ramp it up to a 7% beer, I wouldn't change anything except the amount of extract.

Here's an excerpt from Palmer's book that might help you figure out how much more extract you want to add: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter3-4.html

Edit: I should point out, while sugar will increase your original gravity, it will produce a drier beer. That's why I recommend just adding more extract.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
DannPM
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Pittsburg, KS
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Plain white table sugar, sucrose is 100% fermentable. Cane is identical to beet and it increases alcohol and decreases body from residual sugars.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
944play

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts

Strictly speaking, the BEST way is to brew a different beer. That is, instead of throwing a bunch of spurious fermentables into, say, a Dry Stout kit, just buy the kit for the RIS you wanted in the first place.

Or just drop a depth charge of 80 proof into the glass at serving time.

phenry Likes This 
Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
jgln
Recipes 

May 2008
Southern, NJ
Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannPM View Post
Plain white table sugar, sucrose is 100% fermentable. Cane is identical to beet and it increases alcohol and decreases body from residual sugars.
Tried that once..too much and the taste later is not good. Ruined a good beer that way once trying to make a high ABV beer....but man if you want to get drunk fast it does the trick.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Jsamp
Recipes 

Jul 2009
WV
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

Ive used dark brown sugar in my imperial stout and barley wine with good results but like mentioned by jgln to much is not good. I keep it below 10% of the total and a pound increases the abv about 1% in 5 gallons.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
BigTerp
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Falling Waters, West Virginia
Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

Anyone tried this? I was thinking of trying it on a Brown Ale I plan to brew soon, but don't want to ruin the flavor.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10137

Old 07-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
legaleagle37
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Arlington, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTerp View Post
Anyone tried this? I was thinking of trying it on a Brown Ale I plan to brew soon, but don't want to ruin the flavor.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10137
I have. It's pretty much as advertised. raises my OG roughly .007 on a 5 gallon extract full boil and I don't notice any taste difference

Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Clann
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Edmonton Ky
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

In my Hopped up Honey wheat I added 2 lbs of honey and I can tell there is more alcohol than normal.