1st Time Brewer....obsessed with the fermenter - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 1st Time Brewer....obsessed with the fermenter

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
kramer
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
big bear lake, ca
Posts: 54
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



.....jeez, I can't leave it alone. I'm over looking at it constantly; and, it's only been 3 days. Some of this comes from the fact that it's 92 outside, and I have to keep the temp down.

Anyway, I guess this is normal, and goes away after a batch or two. For now, I'm loving this thing bubbling away, with the whole place smelling like sweet bananas. --btw, is that normal? It's a belgian ale.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
FromZwolle
 
FromZwolle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
beecher, il
Posts: 8,555
Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts


yes. now walk away! physical interaction with you beer now can only do it harm. let the yeast do what they were budded to do.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
cmoon
 
cmoon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
LA
Posts: 138

Brewing as a hobby favors people who are procrastinators... er, are patient. Of course, you can have fun watching the airlock bubble, but consider a second hobby to keep you preoccupied! (like building a mash tun, or a brew shed, or something.)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
FromZwolle
 
FromZwolle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
beecher, il
Posts: 8,555
Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoon View Post
Brewing as a hobby favors people who are procrastinators... er, are patient. Of course, you can have fun watching the airlock bubble, but consider a second hobby to keep you preoccupied! (like building a mash tun, or a brew shed, or something.)
more like batch number 2. you can never have enough fermenters, trust me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #5
BulldogBrewer
 
BulldogBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Out of My Mind, CA
Posts: 1,152
Liked 199 Times on 199 Posts


I remember being that way... You'll get past it. Now I tend to only go check on ones that I'm afraid may blow out, but typically don't go back to the more than once a day.
__________________
Primary: Hophead Summer Ale, Watermelon Wheat
Secondary: Empty
In the Keg: Red IPA, Centennial Blonde, Hophead Summer Ale, Pliny Clone
Bottle: Apfelwein, Cranegranate Apfelwein
On Deck: Sweet Stout

Quote:
Let me bring you up to speed, we know nothing... You are now up to speed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #6
cmoon
 
cmoon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
LA
Posts: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromZwolle View Post
more like batch number 2. you can never have enough fermenters, trust me.
Yup, empty fermenters are slacking on the job!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
MONKandTUCK
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Philly, PA
Posts: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
.....jeez, I can't leave it alone. I'm over looking at it constantly; and, it's only been 3 days. Some of this comes from the fact that it's 92 outside, and I have to keep the temp down.

Anyway, I guess this is normal, and goes away after a batch or two. For now, I'm loving this thing bubbling away, with the whole place smelling like sweet bananas. --btw, is that normal? It's a belgian ale.

I gave up stuffed animals around 6 years ofl (shhh, I tell people I left them behind in the crib). Anyway, now that I've started homebrewing I wanna cuddle w/ my fermentation jug.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:18 AM   #8
Mongrel
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Sisters, Oregon
Posts: 1,749
Liked 242 Times on 151 Posts


Build a fermentation chest freezer. When you get the urge to interact with your beer, open your eyes really wide, stick your head in, and inhale deeply through your nostrils.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #9
kramer
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
big bear lake, ca
Posts: 54
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


LOVE the smell of fermenting beer!!! Banana and something else that I can't put a finger on....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
jbsg02
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
garland, tx
Posts: 790
Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts


The best way to stop thinking about a fermenting batch of beer is to start on a new batch

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting from Home Brewer to Commercial Brewer FensterBos General Beer Discussion 11 05-26-2015 03:26 AM
Help! I'm obsessed with homebrewing! dgez General Beer Discussion 16 02-18-2009 10:50 PM
First time brewer with Celiac, trying to brew Gluten Free Lurpinator General Beer Discussion 6 07-15-2008 11:06 PM
First time brewer questions TexasRed General Beer Discussion 3 03-16-2006 03:26 PM
First Time Brewer sgnt57 General Beer Discussion 2 10-31-2004 05:47 AM


Forum Jump