what is the most "water conserving" method of cooling wort quickly? - Page 7 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > what is the most "water conserving" method of cooling wort quickly?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmagy
If you use liquid yeast, it will give you a real nice headstart on aeration as well
I don't understand - would you say more, please?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #62
emjay
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,794
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_

I don't understand - would you say more, please?
He's referring to the fact that dry yeast doesn't really need to be aerated, whereas liquid yeast (or repitched yeast from ANY source) does.

However, experiments done by the yeast companies to determine dissolved oxygen levels using various methods of aeration/oxygenation have concluded that "stirring" (and similar methods) is the absolute worst method, and barely gets any O2 into solution... so it's really a piss-poor way of getting a "head start", and shouldn't be counted on.

Not to mention the whole issue of HSA (Hot Side Aeration), which many brewers dismiss as "just another brewing boogeyman", despite their being significant merit to the entire concept. Not to mention that said dismissive brewers invariably rely on fallacious logic, and/or a poor understanding of the pertinent science.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #63
Nashbrewer
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Lavergne, TN
Posts: 162
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


For those that use ice to cool water in a container and circulate that an additional way of conserving water would be to use gallon jugs, or 2L bottles filled with ICE that can be re-frozen so when the ice melts you are not just dumping the water. I realize this requires a lot of freezer space, but it does reduce your overall water usage even further.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #64
ere109
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Denver, CO
Posts: 206
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Hey now, my grandmother had a gravity-fed spring box. We did have to climb into it one winter to get rid of a dead frog, but no one died.
As for water waste, I use a counterflow chiller, and hook the output water up to my soaker hose in the garden. Kill two birds.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #65
blacks4
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Morristown, NJ
Posts: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmagy View Post
No one mentions agitating the wort with IC chillers. Its all about delta T. Grab a glove and stir/shake that chiller baby....... as you run the chiller the wort closest to the chiller will cool down, leaving a transition layer near the coils that has very low temp differential.

Agitating the wort makes keeps the hottest possible wort right next to the cold coils and maintains efficiency. Uses half the water.

Plate chillers (in addition to huge surface area) naturally have turbulent flow
I have always "stirred" the IC around in a circle as it was cooling and recently starting using one of the "in carboy drill attachment aerators" to just whirlpool the wort around the IC as it cools.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #66
Ridebreck
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Colorado Springs
Posts: 109
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post

Not to mention the whole issue of HSA (Hot Side Aeration), which many brewers dismiss as "just another brewing boogeyman", despite their being significant merit to the entire concept. Not to mention that said dismissive brewers invariably rely on fallacious logic, and/or a poor understanding of the pertinent science.
I would say that Charlie Bamforth at UC Davis understands the pertinent science far better than anyone on this board and he disagrees with you wholeheartedly.

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #67
mahe
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Glenfield, Auckland
Posts: 35
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


We have way more energy than fresh water, so using ice seems like a good idea to me. Freezing containers and reusing them in what ever cooling system you are using.
__________________
Proud member of Home Brew Tuesday.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #68
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,366
Liked 223 Times on 180 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by philjohnwilliams View Post
Because many of the people here are brewing All Grain or are doing full wort extract boils, neither of which allow for adding water (or ice) post boil.
Instead of adding ice that will melt into your wort, could you add an ice pack that you sanitized to your wort?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #69
geezerpk
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
upstate SC
Posts: 105
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


In the winter, when spigot water temps are relatively cold, I use the IC and stir method to bring the wort relatively close to pitching temps. In the hot months I use the IC only until temp reaches under 110 or so, and try to capture most of the water for the garden watering. I use a combination of crudely-rigged swamp cooler and ice packs to do the final chill to pitching temps. Not perfect I guess, but it's worked okay so far.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Rapi Kool" effective for wort chilling? jdog188 General Techniques 9 09-10-2010 02:02 PM
Is this method ok for cooling wort?... smokey989 General Techniques 7 07-05-2010 05:54 AM
Quickly cooling wort geodave General Techniques 11 03-16-2009 11:08 PM
The "Old Timers Method" of brewing... Jeffro General Techniques 14 12-31-2008 04:30 PM
"No Sparge Method" Dark_Ale General Techniques 9 05-25-2007 05:12 PM


Forum Jump