Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Another "first mead" post, requesting assistance
Old 08-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Definitely don't have any useful mead experience to contribute beyond fatbloke's, but I wanted to add that when I did a JAOM, I used a whole packet of bread yeast instead of a teaspoon and it fermented that sucker dry "as a buzzard's arse". 1.000 or lower IIRC. Tolerance seems to be a pretty vague estimate, depending on conditions.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #12

I've only made one mead but I was also alarmed when I saw the 1.000 - thought something was wrong but the mead turned out to be fantastic after backsweetening.
You should never hesitate to trade your cow for a handful of magic beans.
- from Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas
Old 08-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #13

Again everyone, thanks for easing my anxieties. I would be horrified if this mead came out bad. Lots of money invested.

I took another gravity reading today (the one I posted yesterday was actually from a few days ago) and it was still at 1.000. So I decided to take the next step:

I made a tea of 4 Tbsps Rosehips and 4 Tbsps lavender flowers and poured this into one of the 3gal better bottles (bb). I racked some must onto this and put an airlock on it.

The other 3gal bb got about 4.8lbs of golden raspberries that I "pasteurized" with a touch of water on the stove. Heated it to 170F and held it there for about 10 minutes. I used my immersion blender to kind of puree this so it would be easier to get into the bb and to hopefully have more of the fruit juice utilized in the mead. Cooled this to about 95F and poured it into the bb. Racked the rest of the mead on top of this and had just enough to top it up. Made a blowoff hose because there is no room for fermentation and I imagine something will start again with all the sugar from the raspberries.

There wasn't much yeast/dreggs on the bottom and the mead was still quite cloudy, but I am just guessing this is the way mead is as there isn't a protein break like in beer brewing. I tasted some of the must off the lees and it tasted like hot honey, so I am guessing everything is doing well.

Thanks again everyone!
Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some kind of battle.