Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Prickly Pear Soda?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
frstcavgrunt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Prickly Pear Soda?

Well, here in Arizona, the Prickly Pears are getting ripe. My Dad and I just started brewing this week. We have our first batch of Wheat Beer fermenting in the closet right now. I'm hooked.

I was thinking of making a Prickly Pear wine and then thought about trying a soda first. Has anyone ever made one? I would like to have the Prickly Pear be the main flavor of the soda. The fruit doesn't have too high of a sugar count so I have to figure out how much sugar to add to it. I think I'm going to try using a Champaigne yeast for the carbonation.

Any suggestions on quantities and additional ingredients would be very much appreciated.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I can't comment on a recipe, but it'll look awesome. Many people use them in mead, but the color eventually fades. I like the idea of a bright purple/pink soda.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
frstcavgrunt
Recipes 

I've had 'prickly pair' soda before, but it was inline with other commercial sodas in that it had all the extra ingredients that I don't want. Going off of what I've seen from other fruit based soda recipes, I think I have an idea of how I'm going to do it. I'll post my results on here later this week when I get some time to do it.