My new mill station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neddy

Reaction score
Got tired of using a 3/8 drill with my old Barley crusher. I now have a new Monster Mill MM3-2.0 with a 1/3 HP motor and 10:1 right-angle speed reducer.
It runs at 175rpm with 109 in-lbs of torque. I love it. The bottom photo shows my new rig with the old barley crusher sitting on top.

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

Got the motor off ebay. Its a 1/3hp 1750rpm GE motor. The gearbox is from Groschopp. Model RA40 10:1 reduction. The reducer bolts directly to the motor as they're both NEMA 56C. WHen I called to order the reducer they told me they'd only be selling the NEMA ones for a few more weeks before they'd be discontinued - same b/c it works great and was 1/4 the cost of similar speed reducer's I'd found searching the net.

I spent a little more for this set up so I didn't have to have pulleys. I was afraid I'd be missing a few fingers after a while if I set it up that way.

Its going to a member of my club that's just starting all-grain brewing

Thanks for the info Neddy, i just bought one of the gear boxes to replace my sheaves. I have a toddler at home and don't need her (or myself) to get some fingers in the pulley system. Not that it'll be plugged in, etc when not in use, but it's cheap insurance IMHO.

you'll also need a coupler to connect the output shaft from the gearbox to the shaft of you milld. The one's I got are made by lovejoy. They're on page 1163 of the mcmaster carr catalog.

Back