You know you're a home brewer when? - Page 85 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > You know you're a home brewer when?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #841
Dawnhulio
 
Dawnhulio's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Portland, OR
Posts: 511
Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts


*When you go to a weird junkhouse auction, see an old data-switching box, and say to yourself, 'huh, if I can get that for two bucks or less, I can gut it and turn it into a stir plate...' and now have it in your possession - for two bucks. Guess I need to visit Radio Shack.

*To add to above, you think about bidding on a soldering set, but consider it too late, and lose out to the guy who bid two and a half bucks on it... d'oh!

*When you weed out your store of bottles with anything remotely related to a particular beer brand (for example, 'Samuel Adams' bottles that have the name imprinted in the glass) because you've amassed such a large store of 'blanks' you can afford to be a snob - purely for labeling reasons.

*When you experience your first bottle bomb and marvel at how a beer bottle, ensconced in a cardboard beer box, blows a ragged hole through said box, wedges a shard of glass in the wall, and sprinkles the floor with brilliant flecks of brown glass ... and then shed a small tear for the precious beer lost (while cleaning the mess wearing safety glasses and rubber gloves 'just in case' another goes terminal).
__________________
Stout Chick Brewing
Drink it...or die

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #842
Erroneous
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Posts: 605
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnhulio
*When you go to a weird junkhouse auction, see an old data-switching box, and say to yourself, 'huh, if I can get that for two bucks or less, I can gut it and turn it into a stir plate...' and now have it in your possession - for two bucks. Guess I need to visit Radio Shack.

*To add to above, you think about bidding on a soldering set, but consider it too late, and lose out to the guy who bid two and a half bucks on it... d'oh!

*When you weed out your store of bottles with anything remotely related to a particular beer brand (for example, 'Samuel Adams' bottles that have the name imprinted in the glass) because you've amassed such a large store of 'blanks' you can afford to be a snob - purely for labeling reasons.

*When you experience your first bottle bomb and marvel at how a beer bottle, ensconced in a cardboard beer box, blows a ragged hole through said box, wedges a shard of glass in the wall, and sprinkles the floor with brilliant flecks of brown glass ... and then shed a small tear for the precious beer lost (while cleaning the mess wearing safety glasses and rubber gloves 'just in case' another goes terminal).
I've removed a bunch of my bottles from my collection so I have plenty of standard long necks for judges. And then I kicked myself when I figured out they make the best gift bottles since you don't care about getting them back.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #843
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Posts: 5,082
Liked 950 Times on 692 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnhulio View Post
*When you weed out your store of bottles with anything remotely related to a particular beer brand (for example, 'Samuel Adams' bottles that have the name imprinted in the glass) because you've amassed such a large store of 'blanks' you can afford to be a snob - purely for labeling reasons.
just did just such a filtering recently, and sam adams bottles were the first to go. on the other hand abita bottles, which also have the name embossed in the glass, are apparently ok by me

i also got rid of most of my 22's, since i like pouring my beer in one go. 22's = two beers, so you have to stop halfway and that kicks up the yeast/lees. it was easier than buying bigger beer mugs. i kept a few high-pressure bombers (like from dogfish head or champagne bottles) for my belgian brews, but all "regular" bombers were given away.

some call it snobery. i hide behind the excuse that it's a preference
__________________
What hops should I grow? Looking for cheap honey?
- Drinking: BPA made with ingredients from NHC, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #844
Xpertskir
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 2,224
Liked 454 Times on 292 Posts


I pour the 22's into two glasses. I keep the bottle tilted in between pours so the beer doesn't rush back and kick up the yeast.

Slyko Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #845
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Sac City, IA
Posts: 951
Liked 370 Times on 221 Posts


You're planning to build custom wooden storage cases for bottles so you can securely stack them in your basement - and also contain any potential bottle bombs.

janson745 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #846
boilerbrewer
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 40
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts


When two days after your wife delivers baby number 2, your 4 year old asks if it's ok "for mommy to have beer now? "

Also, since said delivery was early, you check the airlocks on two carboys each night to make sure they're not drying out since Sunday kinda got lost to other things. On the bright side, that stuff is looking really clear.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #847
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 879
Liked 197 Times on 130 Posts


When your last will and testament states your wishes to be "cremated with 8oz Nugget and 4oz Cascade".

5
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #848
BlueZooBrewing
 
BlueZooBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lumberton, NJ
Posts: 123
Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts


You get somebody to house sit for you while going on an unexpected trip. Have 2 pages of instructions but don't have any pets, plants, or children to be concerned about...

Every package you recieve SWMBO automatically moves to the brew room, "Since thats where it all goes anyway".

When you call in sick to work and the boss asks what you're brewing and when it will be ready.

You get deployment orders and SWMBO's first question is "will you brew enough beforehand to last while you're gone?"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #849
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Posts: 5,082
Liked 950 Times on 692 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by johngaltsmotor View Post
when your last will and testament states your wishes to be "cremated with 8oz nugget and 4oz cascade".
we have a winner!
__________________
What hops should I grow? Looking for cheap honey?
- Drinking: BPA made with ingredients from NHC, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #850
BlueZooBrewing
 
BlueZooBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lumberton, NJ
Posts: 123
Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
I pour the 22's into two glasses. I keep the bottle tilted in between pours so the beer doesn't rush back and kick up the yeast.
I think you've missed an opportunity to justify purchasing bigger beer glasses.

Das Boot!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting from Home Brewer to Commercial Brewer FensterBos General Beer Discussion 11 05-26-2015 03:26 AM
Home Brewer TV #39 Bluesssman General Beer Discussion 11 06-02-2011 10:45 AM
Home Brewer TV #32 Bluesssman General Beer Discussion 5 04-07-2011 05:38 PM
Home Brewer TV #27 Bluesssman General Beer Discussion 4 03-04-2011 03:14 AM
Home Brewer TV Bluesssman General Beer Discussion 6 12-16-2010 04:43 PM


Forum Jump