Recipe first, then brew-day notes:
Wheat LME: 3.3 lbs
Wheat DME: 2 lbs
Munich: 1.5 lbs
Special B: 6 oz
Crystal 40: 6 oz
Carafa Special II: 0.2 oz
Hallertau, 4.3% AA, 1oz, 60 mins
8.7 oz Jaggery
1 tsp Irish moss @ 15 min
Ferment at 62F
What the mash was supposed to be:
Strike water at 168 F, 3qts (for 2.375 lbs of grain)
Mashing at 153 F for 1 hr
Sparge w/ 1.2 gallons at 170F, add water to get to pre-boil volume of about 3.6 gallons.
What the mash ACTUALLY was:
Strike at 168 went OK, but I was trying something new. I'm working my way towards all-grain, so I wanted to experiment with a mash tun. I haven't bought one yet, but I DID have my bottling bucket, with a valve in it. Great! I bought a hot-water-heater blanket and basically wrapped the bucket in the blanket for insulation. It turns out that doesn't really help... even though the water went in at the right temps, whenever I checked it was around 140 F... way too low. Waaaay too low. I wound up adding another 1.5 qts to the mash trying to keep the temperature up, but no luck. So until I get a real mash tun, I'm going back to just steeping the grains in a grain bag in the kettle so I can give them fire when need be.
I can't get my basement down to 62. With a wet towel and a fan, I think I've got it around 68F. Oh well. Should still be pretty tasty, if the weird mash didn't hose it too badly.