Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Making a Fermentation Chamber...

Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
nymtber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Making a Fermentation Chamber...

Ok, so I have ordered the e-bay temperature controller as posted here multiple times. I have an old (2000 era) small mini fridge from my college days that I THINK still works, its at my girlfriends currently as she used it for college.

I want to make a small fermentation chamber, 2 carboy capacity is all I am going to make it for, with just enough room around them for air. I hope to make something that can be quickly detached from the fridge for portability purposes. I doubt I will use much wood, just foam and possibly a 2x4 bottom if we have enough excess 2x4 pieces in the basement. I plan on getting my own house in 2 years when my girlfriend finishes school and gets a job, and our basement now does not have room for any elaborate designs. This will be a top opening chamber, just a foam door with weather stripping.

My biggest question: what size foam board to get? I am 99% sure a single board (8'x4') will do all I need. But should I get 1/2" or 1"? Polystyrene or the other DOW branded stuff that has a higher R value? My basement reaches maybe 75 in summer, and winter can fluctuate from 55-90 because we have a wood stove. Although, I plan on getting a stock of beer made before winter gets here, and keeping most of it in my dads basement with an average of 60 all year long. Fermenting at his house would be out of the question, well he wouldnt mind but its 15 miles away.

I have made this a longer post than I needed, but I tried to fit everything in this post. I see they make a tube of caulk that is meant to glue foam board together, and I will use that along with ducting tape to keep the thing together. Probably a strap holding the foam box to the fridge (lots of weather stripping will be used). When I get my own house, I will just buy a used chest freezer, but for now I gotta keep this project small and cheap. I should be able to assemble it for less than $60 with controller

Old 07-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1879 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 52845

Use the equation in the following thread to figure out how many BTUs are required to keep you chamber cool based on differing R values. More insulation is better in that it will maintain temps better while not requiring the fridge to cycle as much.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

My internet friends were making fun of my kegdolly and I took it out on Gary. - Ginger