Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > DIY Pressure Gauge

Old 07-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
TheBroonery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default DIY Pressure Gauge

I made a pressure gauge for my pinlock kegs using spare parts that I had around: Barbed gas disconnect fitting, pressure gauge from an old air compressor, an air fitting in lieu of a barbed fitting, and a short length of CO2 line with hose clamps. I have my keg charged to 40 PSI for clean storage between sanitization and fillings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo2679.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	30201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo2677.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	30202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo2674.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	30203  

Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 AM   #2
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 7

IT looks good but I would be wary of CO2 corrosion on the internal parts of that "air gauge". I was told that CO2 will eat right through standard airlines. YMMV.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
I was told that CO2 will eat right through standard airlines. YMMV.
Whaaaaaat?

Where did you hear THAT gem?

Old 07-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
IT looks good but I would be wary of CO2 corrosion on the internal parts of that "air gauge". I was told that CO2 will eat right through standard airlines. YMMV.
The Off Road guys would be very unhappy to learn of this. They often use CO2 to fill their tires. The air gauge likely has brass innards and the CO2 shouldn't do it any harm. I've been using one for a long time on my regulator without issues.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
The Off Road guys would be very unhappy to learn of this. They often use CO2 to fill their tires. The air gauge likely has brass innards and the CO2 shouldn't do it any harm. I've been using one for a long time on my regulator without issues.
Why Co2? u dont mean no2?
Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

No, I meant CO2. I think the main reason that they use CO2 rather than nitrogen is the availability, but the cost may have something to do with it. I'm not sure, but the off roaders often carry a CO2 tank for both tire filling and to run air tools when out wheeling. They reduce their tire pressure when off road and refill them for the ride home on the highway. It's much faster than the small air 12v air compressors. IIRC, the CO2 tanks hold more cubic feet of gas than a similar sized nitrogen cylinder.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
gopherh3
Recipes 

N2 is much cheaper than CO2. Having said that, a 20lb CO2 bottle holds a lot more gas as it's charged with liquid CO2 (which boils off when the valve is opened.) And as far as filling tires go, well that probalby belongs in a completely different group all together.
CO2 corrosion? CO2 dissolved in water, under the right conditions can form carbonic acid (H2CO3) but it's pretty weak and would take a VERY long time to eat its way through anything. You're probalby safe, at least for this lifetime...

Old 07-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I stand corrected. Like I said this is what a sales person that supposedly knew what they were talking about in a hardware store TOLD me. I tend to err on the side of caution but if there are people who have used these cheap gauges on their CO2 and have had no ill effects for a long time then that is plenty good enough for me!

I am in need of a dial pressure gauge for my regulator but have been hesitant due to the expense of shipping and LHBS high prices to replace it. I may now just try a cheapy air gauge and see what happens. FWIW This is why I love this forum, the dispelling of myths!

UPDATE: Cancel that my LHBS sold me a sweet CO2 gauge for $10. With the price of gas I could not have saved money by driving to HF to buy a "cheapo"...Sorry no experimental stuff from me...