Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Flavor Infused Sugar (From Whole Foods)

Old 07-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
Stankonia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Flavor Infused Sugar (From Whole Foods)

I went to whole foods today and noticed some flavor-infused sugar in the coffee section of the store.

They had ginger, dark cocoa, cinnamon, lime, raspberry, vanilla bean, etc. The sugar was larger-ground relative to table sugar, and pretty pungent when I smelled them.

I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight on these? If adding them to the boil would it just ferment out leaving little flavor similar to the way honey does for example. Would it be effective for bottle conditioning?

It would be fun to mess around with it, but I would like some in-sight from those who would know more about it, and what to expect.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

As long as there wasn't anything artificial in them they'd be interesting to play with. You're right, the sugar would ferment out while hopefully imparting subtle flavors behind.

I've been playing around with flavoring my priming solution at bottling time for that last bit of mouth hit and aroma when you open the bottle. I've done chilies, citrus peels, and even some spices in the boil and strained out after. I decided to add 1.5 ounces of ginger to my priming sugar boil when I did my ginger snap brown ale.

As you can see it has a nice straw color as opposed to the clear you are used to. It smelled amazingly like ginger.

I've also done it with dried chilli peppers for my chocolate mole porter. And done citrus peels with various beers such as using orange peels in my wits.

You could do it with any dry spice, such as cloves, coriander, star anise for a licorice beer, cinnamon and even a vanilla beer. You can do with this is to add some lactose to the boil as well, since it is unfermentable, it should sweeten the flavor somewhat.

I'm planning to try crystallized/candied ginger next time. Evidently it has a sweeter less biting flavor to it.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Stankonia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

^ nice, I like that idea. Let us know how it turns out.

I might get some of the sugar to see how well it works. They had chili-pepper flavored sugar too.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankonia View Post
^ nice, I like that idea. Let us know how it turns out.

I might get some of the sugar to see how well it works. They had chili-pepper flavored sugar too.
It turned out great. People really love the beer, and the flavor and aroma of the ginger is really pronounced.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew