Should I pitch more yeast? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I pitch more yeast?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Brak23
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Portland, OR
Posts: 183
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


So its stalled. Its been about a full month (less two days) and has been at 1.040 for the last 3 weeks.

I have another thing of yeast and ready to plop it in. My question now is, Do I need to re-Aerate the wort with the new batch of yeast? (transfer to clean carboy, pitch yeast, shake shake). Or can I just dump it in the current carboy with yeast cake and skip the aeration?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 38,988
Liked 3706 Times on 3178 Posts


If it's dry,re-hydrate it & then pitch. I wouldn't aerate it,since it has had yeast in it already.
__________________
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
Distopian Sci-Fi- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
Brak23
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Portland, OR
Posts: 183
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Added more white labs Edinburgh yeast on Sunday. Has had almost zero airlock activity (which doesn't mean much). But the gravity has gone from 1.040 to 1.035 in about 4 days. So I'm crossing my fingers that it keeps munching away. I'm supposed to get to about 1.023 I believe

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
Brak23
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Portland, OR
Posts: 183
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Its been the exact same read out for 4 days straight now. The added yeast only dropped it about .005 total.

Im just frustrated because im really not sure what to do, what I did wrong. I was told by a guy who has brewed this specific recipe 20-30 times that its great and tasty. Yet for whatever reason I can't seem to get mine to ferment. I've followed the exact processes that ive used in previous brews that have been successful, but nothing seems to be working.

On top of that, people have been giving me advice that is all over the map. So im really not sure what to do at this point. Its been about 5 weeks since I started this brew.

Should I keep letting it sit and do its thing? How long do I give before I end up having to pitch it because its not fermenting out?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
eastoak
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
oakland, california
Posts: 3,294
Liked 160 Times on 150 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brak23 View Post
Its been the exact same read out for 4 days straight now. The added yeast only dropped it about .005 total.

Im just frustrated because im really not sure what to do, what I did wrong. I was told by a guy who has brewed this specific recipe 20-30 times that its great and tasty. Yet for whatever reason I can't seem to get mine to ferment. I've followed the exact processes that ive used in previous brews that have been successful, but nothing seems to be working.

On top of that, people have been giving me advice that is all over the map. So im really not sure what to do at this point. Its been about 5 weeks since I started this brew.

Should I keep letting it sit and do its thing? How long do I give before I end up having to pitch it because its not fermenting out?
brew something else while you wait for this stout to do it's thing and come back to it in another month...or two. you could also pitch some nottingham (or some other neutral flavor yeast) dry yeast but i would bring the temp down to around 65 if i did that.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:54 AM   #16
Brak23
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Portland, OR
Posts: 183
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Why bring it down to 65? Does that work better for that kind of yeast versus the 70-75?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:12 AM   #17
eastoak
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
oakland, california
Posts: 3,294
Liked 160 Times on 150 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brak23 View Post
Why bring it down to 65? Does that work better for that kind of yeast versus the 70-75?
yes. at a higher temp you may get some unwanted flavors. i ferment all of my beers at the lower end of their temp range, that and pure O2 have put my last 4-5 batches in a whole new category of good.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #18
boostsr20
 
boostsr20's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Michigan
Posts: 805
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Like I already stated, you should have pitched a more attenuative yeast that's neutral like WLP001. You have a ton of dextrinous malts in there so don't expect it to go much lower using the edinburgh.

Also, never aerate after its already been fermenting.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #19
Brak23
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Portland, OR
Posts: 183
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by boostsr20 View Post
Like I already stated, you should have pitched a more attenuative yeast that's neutral like WLP001. You have a ton of dextrinous malts in there so don't expect it to go much lower using the edinburgh.

Also, never aerate after its already been fermenting.
With the WLP001, should I make a starter prior? Or should I just pour it right into the fermenter.

I never aerated after fermentation, read it was bad bad bad. So I left it alone.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #20
boostsr20
 
boostsr20's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Michigan
Posts: 805
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brak23 View Post
With the WLP001, should I make a starter prior? Or should I just pour it right into the fermenter.

I never aerated after fermentation, read it was bad bad bad. So I left it alone.
I'd make a small starter just to get the yeast active before throwing them in but its probably not necessary. At the point your at now I'd consider just letting it go with what you've done. Unless you've taken samples and they tasted far sweeter than you wanted, just give it a little more time and bottle it up and save the new yeast for the next batch. I'm sure the beer will be still be very drinkable, it just won't be to style. Who really cares about styles anyways as long as you like it.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeast Starter Blowout - Is my yeast still suitable to pitch? DonnieZ Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 17 11-13-2011 07:27 PM
Should I pitch more yeast? (a.k.a. why is pitching more yeast considered bad?) SamFen Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 02-02-2010 04:59 AM
Pitch more yeast? creole_hops Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 02-24-2009 03:43 AM
Pitch dry yeast or re-order the liquid yeast? damrass Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 08-04-2008 02:17 AM
Pitch more yeast? Shahn Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 04-07-2008 06:02 PM


Forum Jump