I started out wanting to make a few unique taps for myself which got me into experimenting with different materials. I'm also trying to perfect the inserted threads with some success. I cut all of the wood from logs that I either harvested or were given to me with the exception of the redwood. As you can see from the pics duplication is not my strong suit.
In the first pic there are two spalted maple in the middle and the ones at each end are redwood burl. The maple ones were by far the hardest to turn due to the the wood having hard and soft spots. Hardener had to be applied to the soft spots so it wouldn't tear out in chunks while on the lathe. Plus the softer areas will sand more quickly, warping the wood without it.
The next set I finished are all wild cherry burl that I force dried. Since most burls will have voids I decided to fill them with an aqua colored resin.
The last pic looks like a small child painted the letters on them, its actually more colored resin. Once they were turned I free handed them with a router, it was a real pain due to the round surface. This was my first attempt at routing letters which explains the sloppiness or maybe it's because I'm a lefty. The IPA one is Ash and the ALE one is Cherry.