Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Waste not

Old 07-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
skippyf16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Waste not

I've done a couple extract batches and used walmart water in a 5 gallon jug. Any reason I can't load up the empty jug with Ed Wort's Apfelwein, a bung and an airlock? Seems a shame to waste a 5 gallon jug. Thanks for any inputs you guys have.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
JoeDaddio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not 100% on this as I'm new, but at least you'll get a bump out of my response. And if I'm wrong I'm sure to inspire a heartfelt response

I'm pretty sure that the type of material that most plastic jugs are made out of are not suitable for brewing. probably has something to do with leaching oxygen and PH levels or something. I am sure that there are markings/numbers on the jug that can tell you exactly what kind of plastic it's made out of, and then you can Google whether or not it's suitable for brewing, or maybe post them on here and someine may be able to tell you.

joe

Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Waste not, lest you be wasted.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Just stop at ~4 gallons when you start it. Unless you have a spare sink you can put it into.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
asterix404
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Cleaning the handles is brutal. That is the only reason I have heard not to use water bottles. If the handle is solid you are good but if it's not, it's really hard to clean it.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2854 Times on 1690 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDaddio View Post
I'm not 100% on this as I'm new, but at least you'll get a bump out of my response. And if I'm wrong I'm sure to inspire a heartfelt response

I'm pretty sure that the type of material that most plastic jugs are made out of are not suitable for brewing. probably has something to do with leaching oxygen and PH levels or something. I am sure that there are markings/numbers on the jug that can tell you exactly what kind of plastic it's made out of, and then you can Google whether or not it's suitable for brewing, or maybe post them on here and someine may be able to tell you.

joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix404 View Post
Cleaning the handles is brutal. That is the only reason I have heard not to use water bottles. If the handle is solid you are good but if it's not, it's really hard to clean it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ettbeer View Post
i don't think the water bottle will keep Oxygen out of the wort while it's fermenting. check out the Permeability section at BB web http://www.better-bottle.com/technical.html
These are all pretty wrong/outdated comments, especially those about "oxygen permeability" most of that has long been disproven.

As to the handles being hard to clean, that's why god created oxyclean soaks. And if it doesn't get clean (which I've never had a problem with that) then so what pitch it after one use.

Never had a problem with getting anything clean with oxyclean and then my jet bottle/carboy rinser.

There's literally a million threads about using water jugs on here. The biggest issue is in the type of plastic they are made out of. The recycling codes on the bottom are what matters. since the advent of the Better Bottle, and the BPA recalls which seems to have caused a lot of number 7s in the market to be replaced with <2> or <3>by the water bottle industry (many of them made by the Better Bottle Compnay) it's not as cut and dried as he may seem to think.

It is perfectly fine to use plastic water bottles or food grade plastic buckets (like frosting buckets), plastic jerry cans (called aquatainers very popular with no-chill brewers ), really anything these days as long as it is made of Pet or HDPE, or labeled with the recycling code on the bottom <2> or <3>.

A seven is iffy, since that is the dumping code for all manner of plastics. BUT for one shot of Apfelwein, I would use it for maybe another time.

It's better than just throwing them away.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2854 Times on 1690 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Just stop at ~4 gallons when you start it. Unless you have a spare sink you can put it into.
Yes....You could even maybe go to 4.5 gallons with a blowoff tube.

I've done 1/2 gallon headspace with little or no issues even without one. I always do 2.5 gallons in my 3 gallon water bottles, betterbottles and carboys.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If you make the appfelwein with Montrochet yeast...there is no krausen, thus no need to leave room for headspace!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
JoeDaddio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
These are all pretty wrong/outdated comments, especially those about "oxygen permeability" most of that has long been disproven.

As to the handles being hard to clean, that's why god created oxyclean soaks. And if it doesn't get clean (which I've never had a problem with that) then so what pitch it after one use.

Never had a problem with getting anything clean with oxyclean and then my jet bottle/carboy rinser.

There's literally a million threads about using water jugs on here. The biggest issue is in the type of plastic they are made out of. The recycling codes on the bottom are what matters. since the advent of the Better Bottle, and the BPA recalls which seems to have caused a lot of number 7s in the market to be replaced with <2> or <3>by the water bottle industry (many of them made by the Better Bottle Compnay) it's not as cut and dried as he may seem to think.

It is perfectly fine to use plastic water bottles or food grade plastic buckets (like frosting buckets), plastic jerry cans (called aquatainers very popular with no-chill brewers ), really anything these days as long as it is made of Pet or HDPE, or labeled with the recycling code on the bottom <2> or <3>.

A seven is iffy, since that is the dumping code for all manner of plastics. BUT for one shot of Apfelwein, I would use it for maybe another time.

It's better than just throwing them away.

Well, at least I was right about something

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
And if I'm wrong I'm sure to inspire a heartfelt response

joe

Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
zachary80
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
If you make the appfelwein with Montrochet yeast...there is no krausen, thus no need to leave room for headspace!
Agreed. Last batch we filled all the way up to the mouth of the better bottle, leaving maybe an inch of headspace. No problems, and less air contact too

Next Batches: Wheat Porter, W00t Stout, Heady Topper, Citra Black IPA