Meet My New Brewbuddy!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azscoob

Brewpub coming soon!
Reaction score
I was reluctant to post this until the paperwork went through, but yesterday at 4:30pm I got a call that the court paperwork was finalized on the newborn adoption of my little son.

Some background info... My wife and I have been married since 2000 and have been trying to have a baby since 2001, after getting nowhere we decided to try getting doctors involved.

After dropping 35k on IUI and IVF procedures that were complete failures we had given up on ever having a child of our own, adopting looked to be an impossible dream as well.

We received a phone call that a distant cousin was pregnant and not prepared to be a mother, she was planning on giving up the baby for adoption. We jumped at the opportunity.

Born July 12 at 3:33pm, at 21 inches long, a 36 cm diameter head and tipping the scales at 8 lb 8 oz....

Jackson Liam!!

2011-07-13_19_51_50.jpg

Awesome and congrats. I know a big part of it may be for selfish reasons (for lack of a better term) but it's a great thing you're doing by keeping the kid out of the foster system.

Are you going to allow your distant cousin to see the baby?

Awesome and congrats. I know a big part of it may be for selfish reasons (for lack of a better term) but it's a great thing you're doing by keeping the kid out of the foster system.

Are you going to allow your distant cousin to see the baby?

Our cousin wants a closed adoption, we have expressed our feelings that should she want contact or updates at some point in the future that we are ok with that.

We feel that it is important to let him know he is adopted and that there is nothing wrong with it, my brother-in-law's wife was adopted, as is our cousin so we have a couple good sources for how to approach it.

Our cousin wants a closed adoption, we have expressed our feelings that should she want contact or updates at some point in the future that we are ok with that.

We feel that it is important to let him know he is adopted and that there is nothing wrong with it, my brother-in-law's wife was adopted, as is our cousin so we have a couple good sources for how to approach it.

Awesome. Maybe someday we'll get together for a brew session and I'll get to meet the tyke.

That is if you don't mind him meeting a tattooed old guy with a septum ring. :rockin:

Congrats, again! Now get him a TKT onesie! :D

I have the artwork, so it would be a snap. I already have a Grain Reaper brewing one for him, and just made one that states "I don't make diapers dirty, I make them AWESOME"

Awesome. Maybe someday we'll get together for a brew session and I'll get to meet the tyke.

That is if you don't mind him meeting a tattooed old guy with a septum ring. :rockin:

Old... I have 6 years on ya!

We could definately get together to brew, maybe when I get back in town in a few days (damn work!) I will have a week or so to brew before I have to fly back to drive my family home.

Congrats Scoob! That's an awesome thing that your cousin was able to do for you and you were able to do for both your cousin and your little boy. Welcome to the best time of your life :mug:

Congrats man. We have two adopted kids. It's a pretty amazing.

Adoption needs to be promoted more IMO and red tape needs to be simplified.

Without trying to get too political. Lots of babies getting aborted. Lots of couples with fertility problems. Yet abortions get promoted and fertility clinics cost couples tens of thousands of dollars - often with no results. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Congrats again. It felt weird at first walking out of the hospital with someone roses baby. But only after a few days he bond is pretty strong.

I'm happy if you're happy. I'm trying to adopt a 17 year old Asian girl right now, not having much luck.

_

Ha, you're going to have time to brew?! Congratz! :mug:

Of course I will, I usually brew at night, once he is sleeping through the night I can get to brewing again, lately I have been having one or two pints per night a few days per week.

With a total of 11 kegs full and 15 gallons ready to rack to kegs I should be set for a little while. I may squeeze in a quick 10 or 20 gallon brewday when I get home. that should hold me over for a while.

Wooooooo congrats!

That I didn't get that Brazilian girl?? Thats just mean :D

Thanks, I just keep looking at him, he is so amazing! Those tiny fingers, and I cannot get over the tiny socks and shoes!!

Is it too early to make him a little mash paddle? :ban:

Congrats, scoob!

Our oldest daughter is adopted...and she's always known it from Day #1. She will be 33 this October, and will give us our first grandchild in early December. She has never had any desire to find her birth mother. She is comfortable in her own skin, and knows without a doubt that she is OUR daughter. And I love her just as much as my three biological daughters...maybe even a tad more!

glenn514:mug:

Congrates to you and your wife. We have a 8 month old son and can't imagine life without him. Enjoy every minute of it.

I have the artwork, so it would be a snap. I already have a Grain Reaper brewing one for him, and just made one that states "I don't make diapers dirty, I make them AWESOME"

Old... I have 6 years on ya!

We could definately get together to brew, maybe when I get back in town in a few days (damn work!) I will have a week or so to brew before I have to fly back to drive my family home.

I'd be down for it, hit me up. Maricopa's not that far from me.

Congrats!!!! :D This is such happy news.

We have a little 5 week old, which is our first. It *has* gotten easier, and she is starting to do more than eat, poop, sleep and cry. It is going by sooo fast, I can hardly believe it.

I hope these few weeks start to fly by, he has settled into his 'witching hours' every night between 10pm and 2am he is up fussing, screaming and being unruly, then at 2am it is like switching him off, he falls asleep til 6am and wakes up like an angel. me on the other hand hasnt gotten into his routine yet, so I'm draggin a bit.

I hope these few weeks start to fly by, he has settled into his 'witching hours' every night between 10pm and 2am he is up fussing, screaming and being unruly, then at 2am it is like switching him off, he falls asleep til 6am and wakes up like an angel. me on the other hand hasnt gotten into his routine yet, so I'm draggin a bit.

It is so hard. I think I got 20 hours of sleep in the first week - I just couldn't nap and the baby was up all hours, it seemed like! She had four nights in a row where she was up till 8-9 am, fussing and nursing all night with 10-20 minute naps here and there (and I couldn't get to sleep). I think it was a growth spurt. Last night and the night before she slept from about 11pm to 8am, with an hour or two in the middle of that where she nursed. It's a huge relief - I got 6-7 hours of sleep! And she's up during the day looking around and we play with her (as much as is possible at this stage) and she seems interested in what's going on.

Every day brings something new. Just know that the next day his schedule might be different :) And don't try to get too much else done. I have been trying to get one thing done a day (one of those included bottling my very first batch of beer, when she was about two weeks old!).

Mind you, our daughter could change her schedule back any day, too, I'm guessing! I think there's supposed to be another growth spurt around 6 and 12 weeks, and I'm trying to brace myself for the through-the-night nursing.

ETA: And I hope I don't sound like I think I'm an expert on this. This is our first, too, and we're only a few weeks ahead of you. It is nice for me to talk with someone who's just about at the same place!! :)

Back