books - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > books

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
mot
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
MN
Posts: 625
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts



I just got The joy of home brewing book by charlie papazian the new revized 3rd edition.
Is this book just as good as Palmers book How to home brew, I have skimmed through the online one and its great, just wondering if anyone has read papazians book?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
cweston
 
cweston's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,014
Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mot
I just got The joy of home brewing book by charlie papazian the new revized 3rd edition.
Is this book just as good as Palmers book How to home brew, I have skimmed through the online one and its great, just wondering if anyone has read papazians book?
They're very different. From a strictly informative point of view, I think Palmer is better and is certainly more up to date.

Papazian is a more enjoyable read and is great for inspiring passion for homebrewing and that certain RDWHAHB attitude.
__________________

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,916
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts


Papazian's the Bible; he's great for the overall spirit of homebrewing.

Palmer's the technical manual. Buy yourself a paper copy, it's worthwhile.
__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
mot
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
MN
Posts: 625
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
They're very different. From a strictly informative point of view, I think Palmer is better and is certainly more up to date.

Papazian is a more enjoyable read and is great for inspiring passion for homebrewing and that certain RDWHAHB attitude.
guess I will just have to order palmers newest revision to and have them both.
I take palmers is more a a step by step process on how things work?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
mot
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
MN
Posts: 625
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


besides these two any other books that are a must have?

Brewing Great beers is one I know cant remember who wrote it Daniels I think
any others?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,916
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts


Yeah, Designing Great Beers (Ray Daniels) is an awesome resource - but it's very technical in nature. Most of it is aimed at AG brewers; are you extract or AG? Once you start wanting to develop your own recipes, it's invaluable, but for just starting out I would recommend using either established recipes or buying (good) kits from places like Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew. Focus on the process of making beer before you worry about making your own recipes.
__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
cweston
 
cweston's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,014
Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mot
besides these two any other books that are a must have?

Brewing Great beers is one I know cant remember who wrote it Daniels I think
any others?
Daniels is a more imtermediate/advanced technical book--it is extremely helpful in learning to design your own recipes and a great read if you're a little on the geek side. (I am.)

Clone Brews and Beer Captured are great recipe books. Even if you don't brew clones (I rarely do), they're great for seeing the range of different ingrediants within first-rate examples of any particular style.

Brew Ware is a good book if you like building your own equipment.
__________________

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
mot
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
MN
Posts: 625
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Yeah, Designing Great Beers (Ray Daniels) is an awesome resource - but it's very technical in nature. Most of it is aimed at AG brewers; are you extract or AG? Once you start wanting to develop your own recipes, it's invaluable, but for just starting out I would recommend using either established recipes or buying (good) kits from places like Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew. Focus on the process of making beer before you worry about making your own recipes.
I am doing extract at the moment, and yes just doing the kits for a while to play around with them. Not sure If I will get into AG or not
After a few kits some extract recipes is the next step. Are they more limited recipe wise when doing extract?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
Jim Karr
 
Jim Karr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
SW Michigan..Bangor/Covert area
Posts: 1,259
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Siebel Institute uses a book written in the '50's by Jean DeClerck called "The Textbook of Brewing". I've been trying to find a copy on the cheap. Northern Brewing has it for $75, and Amazon has volumes 1 and 2 used for $149. I've tried interlibrary loan through a bunch of local and regional libraries, but to no avail.
__________________
As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua




"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 PM   #10
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Brewpastor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Corrales, New Mexico
Posts: 4,574
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts


Buy And Read Every Brewing Book You Can Find!
__________________
Before I learned to brew I was poor, sober and lonely. Now I am just poor.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What books should I get? soylentred Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 10-27-2009 01:28 AM
Books PatMac Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 02-23-2009 03:04 PM
Books z987k General Beer Discussion 5 02-04-2009 09:15 AM
First AG in the books!! docbee All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 10-12-2006 04:13 AM
It's in the books... Chairman Cheyco All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 04-27-2006 06:16 PM


Forum Jump