secondary was filtered... ruined? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > secondary was filtered... ruined?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Tioga, WV

So I did a search... and I did not find an answer to this question. I'm a new user. I just realized that oxidizing is bad after fermentation. When I moved my beer, an Irish red ale, to secondary, i filtered through a metal screen that came with my kit. I just realized this is a bad idea. Is my beer going to taste like "wet cardboard?" It had all kinds of bubbles that looked like a rather large head in the carboy when I finished the transfer.

I definately wont be doing such things again. The filter didnt even catch anything. The beer I have in primary now had a lot of hops added and had a lot of debris in the primary. Will it go away? What should I do about this?

Thanks
wes

Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3669 Times on 3153 Posts

Not much you can do but keep an airlock on it & hope for the best.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 07-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
JJL
Recipes 

Feb 2010
, WI
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts

I did the same thing with one of my first batches. It was my first time dry hopping and I thought that I would need to strain the hop pellets out. Needlees to say it was unnecessary. Anyway, I didn't get the dreaded wet cardboard flavor. The beer came out fine. Your results may vary, and I wouldn't advocate straining beer.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
HexKrak
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Phoenix
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Depending on how long ago you did this you could add some sugars. When the yeast wakes up to eat the new sugars it may consume the O2 also.
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Brown Porter, Pale blonde session ale

Old 07-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
Brewham
Recipes 

May 2010
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Best bet is to forget about filtering and let the stuff drop out of suspension on its own. Use a clearing agent like Irish Moss or Whirlfloc (a form of Irish Moss) and let your beer sit for two weeks in the secondary. Another 2 weeks in the bottle and you should be pretty close to clear. if you're not, the cloudiness can't hurt you and is tasteless - just doesn't look as pretty.

As to whether you ruined your Ale? Probably not - you'll find out.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #6
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Tioga, WV

thanks guys. i dont plan to do that again. when i transfer to secondary do i want to try to prevent as much splashing as possible? my next one is getting dry hopped.

I dont really care much about clarity. I just didnt want chunks of hops in my bottles and in my mouth.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #7
Fencemaker
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Seems to me that if you are patient and careful with your siphoning, chunks of anything shouldn't be a problem.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:15 AM   #8
DoubleAught
Recipes 

May 2011
Seymour, Indiana
Liked 106 Times on 81 Posts

When I rack to a secondary I fill from the bottom up with an auto-siphon. Seems to work so far
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:19 AM   #9
gcdowd
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Baldwinsville, NY
Liked 201 Times on 151 Posts

A lot of people dry hop right in the primary. May want to try that. You can use a hop bag to help contain the sludge

Old 07-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #10
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

You can just take a racking cane and rubberband a hop bag on the bottom (all sterilized of course), and it will filter basically everything out. I always dry hop with whole hops, and using this method I get to just stuff the hops in and let em swim around in the carboy without a single leaf making it into the bottling bucket. But as far as oxidation, you'll be fine. Even in a secondary there is activity that will consume the O2 in the brew. In the future, don't secondary. Unless your going to fruit the beer or something like that, its a meaningless step