Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > DME-less Graff?
View Poll Results: What should I replace extract with in my graff?
Raw Sugar 0 0%
White Sugar 0 0%
Brown Sugar 0 0%
Honey 0 0%
Juice Concentrate 0 0%
Nothing 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
bjl110
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default DME-less Graff?

I was going to brew some graff soon, but made a "minor" oversight in that I either didn't write extract on the list that I gave to the LHBS or didn't notice I didn't get any. I have everything else, so I still plan in making something. The question now becomes what, if anything should I replace the extract with? I'm thinking: sugar, brown sugar, raw sugar, honey, AJ concentrate, or nothing at all. I'm also totally up for other suggestions. I'm brewing five gallons, so how much of X do you think I should use?

I should also say that the reason the recipe initially appealed to me is because it was ready so fast compared to others. I'd like to retain this aspect if at all possible.

Thanks!

Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

Reason: unclear pronoun

Old 07-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The malt is pretty much what makes it graff. You're basically gonna be making a slightly hoppy cider with a slightly thicker head.

I've just used burnt honey in a few of my ciders and it comes out great, but it's hell to settle.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
bjl110
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I should say that I still have 8oz 120L & 8oz honey malt. I guess I could mash instead of steep and try and extract all of the sugars possible. I could even steal a cup or two of grain from the blonde that I'm brewing. I don't know if that would make a difference.
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

Old 07-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2843 Times on 1687 Posts
Likes Given: 3502

If you take the malt (which provides some body to it) and replace it with a pure fermentable like sugar, then you're not making graf anymore, you're just pretty much making apfelwein.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I tried Graff several times, but got fed up with it. I prefer either clean cider or a decent beer. The combination doesn't work for me.

I did a couple of batches of cider using Honey Malt and an ale yeast. I used 8 ozs of honey malt, and 12 ozs of sugar (to get to 1.060 OG), + apple juice for a total of 3 gallons. It fermented dry to 0.997, but the Honey Malt makes it taste quite sweet; certainly a lot sweeter than I'm used to.

The biggest problem I had was trying to keep the temperatures reasonably constant to mash the honey malt. Half a pound of grain and 0.6 quarts of water doesn't keep it's temperature very well. When mashed, I sparged with a similar amount of water, added the sugar, and bought to the boil to try and precipate the break material (no hops), cooled and added to the apple juice.

Give it a try if you like your cider slightly sweet.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
bjl110
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to go that route, or something quite similar. Maybe I'll try putting the mash in the oven to keep the temp stable-ish as I don't have a tun yet. Did you just use table sugar?