SMaSH Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hallertauer and tettnanger are so close that to me that are indistinguishable, so use whichever you have!

Are you doing a decoction?

Pilsner malt is pretty light flavored- I'm thinking with a noble hop and all pilsner malt that you've got a kolsch-ish beer.

I have both, so I didn't know which would be better. I've never done a decoction mash, but I can give it a go. I was hoping to go for more of a German Pils kind of lager than a kolsch. Any other suggestions to make that happen? Thanks a bunch.

Btw, what should my temperature rests be for a decoction?

make a starter and do at least one decoction. dont forget the diacetyl rest.

Absolutely. I was looking for suggestions about the recipe mostly. But with the decoction, should I mash in at 122, then pull a decoction to get up to ~148? Then pull another decoction for mash out before sparging? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, how thick should I mash if pulling a decoction mash?

For a pilsner type beer, I'd recommend 100% pilsner malt and saaz hops. I don't have my recipe/mash schedule in front of me, but it seems to me I did something like: 131/149/158/mashout.

There are two good yeast strains I'd consider. One is the Czech Budvar strain, the other is the Pilsner Urquell strain.

For a pilsner type beer, I'd recommend 100% pilsner malt and saaz hops. I don't have my recipe/mash schedule in front of me, but it seems to me I did something like: 131/149/158/mashout.

There are two good yeast strains I'd consider. One is the Czech Budvar strain, the other is the Pilsner Urquell strain.

Thanks Yooper, I can always count on good advice from you. Which yeast strain of the two would be your go-to for a pilsner? I'll pick of the saaz and go from there.

How thick a mash should I have again? and how long at each rest?

Thanks

Thanks Yooper, I can always count on good advice from you. Which yeast strain of the two would be your go-to for a pilsner? I'll pick of the saaz and go from there.

How thick a mash should I have again? and how long at each rest?

Thanks

I think I did 1.33 quarts/pound and did the protein rest as a short (20 minute) rest. I did a Hochkurtz double decoction for the saccrification rests.

For a BoPils, I think the Urquell strain would be the best.

Latest posts

Back