American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract - Page 64 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #631
fatman
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Hawaii
Posts: 31

Just wanted to say that after waiting impatiently this beer was amazing. This is the best beer in Hawaii right now! 5 Gallons gone in 10 hours, next time I am doing 10 gallons of this. Thanks for the great recipe!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #632
snowveil
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Lebanon, PA
Posts: 626
Liked 56 Times on 41 Posts


Today is a sad day....


Cracking open the last bottle of my batch now! Thanks again for the recipe, it was definitely a hit!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #633
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
TheWeeb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,122
Liked 120 Times on 77 Posts



Just got the ingredients in for this, CAN"T WAIT!

First Time Using Leaf Hops! Yea, It is the simple things that make me happy.

Need to get that darn Hefe out of my primary . . . .
__________________
____________
"I would Rather Have a Keg of Delirium Tremens than a Case of It"

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..


 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #634
EarthBound
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Beer Capital of the World
Posts: 1,062
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
I just kept it as is just to experiment. I let it condition for awhile cuz I knew it would be boozy. The first couple pints had a purple tint to it which was pretty weird. After a couple more pints it started to taste better and better. Now, it tastes amazing, but it's nothing like dfh60. I would say it's a dfh90 clone now except IMO mine tastes a little better.

Tasty and strong!
I'm gonna do this recipe again tomorrow. I'll make sure to not screw it up this time, i.e., remembering to take OG, remembering to have the right amount of volume, etc.. I'm excited. I'll let you know how it turns out and if there's a purple tint again.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #635
Pete79
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
UP
Posts: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluewagons View Post
Finally got a first taste of a batch of this I brewed on 3/1. Turned out a bit sweet, but I was expecting that as it had a FG of 1.022 (OG 1.077). Hop-wise it's damn delicious but it's got an almost syrupy mouthfeel.
I had the same problem with mouthfeel. Syrupy is the exact word I would use. Although if I remember correctly the FG for my batch was 1.020.

It was a partial mash recipe with fresh DME.

When I compared the clone with the real thing hop-wise it seemed to be spot on. (Except with the aroma. I've always had problems getting nice aroma.)
The mouthfeel of DFH 60 seemed a lot more "crisp" to me.

I did only pitch one packet of yeast.

Is the "syrupy" mouthfeel usually only related to FG? Or could it be other things that I could change.

Would love to make this recipe again.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #636
gmtech825
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
new hampshire
Posts: 159
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


brewed a variation of this last night. i had to sub biscuit for the amber malt.
also had to use nugget for bittering and centennial in place of the amarillo. stupid lhbs
__________________
I blame the media blamers

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #637
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,516
Liked 7369 Times on 5209 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech825 View Post
brewed a variation of this last night. i had to sub biscuit for the amber malt.
also had to use nugget for bittering and centennial in place of the amarillo. stupid lhbs
Well, the nugget will be fine. I think centennial is great, too, so it'll be different than my recipe but I bet just as good. I am a huge fan of amarillo, though, so make sure you get some when you can and try a beer with amarillo late hopping. It's probably my current favorite hop, and the amarillo/simcoe combo is my all time favorite combo.

As for the biscuit malt as a sub for amber malt, that's fine. Amber malt (the Thomas Fawcett one) is bascially the same thing as biscuit malt.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #638
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,516
Liked 7369 Times on 5209 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete79 View Post
I had the same problem with mouthfeel. Syrupy is the exact word I would use. Although if I remember correctly the FG for my batch was 1.020.

It was a partial mash recipe with fresh DME.

When I compared the clone with the real thing hop-wise it seemed to be spot on. (Except with the aroma. I've always had problems getting nice aroma.)
The mouthfeel of DFH 60 seemed a lot more "crisp" to me.

I did only pitch one packet of yeast.

Is the "syrupy" mouthfeel usually only related to FG? Or could it be other things that I could change.

Would love to make this recipe again.
I don't know. It shouldn't be syrupy, and should have finished lower than 1.020. You didn't happen to do a smaller boil, and then top off with water to bring you to 5 gallons? Maybe that could cause a beer to be "syrupy" but I haven't experienced that. If you have to do a smaller boil, try adding the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil and see if that reduces the syrupy-ness. (Is that a word?)
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #639
gmtech825
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
new hampshire
Posts: 159
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Well, the nugget will be fine. I think centennial is great, too, so it'll be different than my recipe but I bet just as good. I am a huge fan of amarillo, though, so make sure you get some when you can and try a beer with amarillo late hopping. It's probably my current favorite hop, and the amarillo/simcoe combo is my all time favorite combo.

As for the biscuit malt as a sub for amber malt, that's fine. Amber malt (the Thomas Fawcett one) is bascially the same thing as biscuit malt.
i have made a batch according to the regular recipe with amarillo. it was awesome. thats why im a little annoyed that i couldn't get any.
__________________
I blame the media blamers

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #640
jim_reaper1066
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Fredericton, N.B.
Posts: 182
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Just bottled the all grain version of this on the weekend. This was my first big all grain beer and I totally missed my numbers, started with ~22L OG 1.054, wound up with a FG 1.007. Live and learn I guess.
However my dry hopping went a little long due to life getting in the way, almost 2 weeks. Will this cause any adverse effects? The sample at bottling tasted pretty good, with a strong amarillo aroma and simco aftertaste.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone scottland Homebrew Ale Recipes 603 05-26-2016 06:39 AM
Dogfish head 90 Minute Clone elgee General Beer Discussion 1 04-03-2016 12:36 AM
Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA clone help! SteelTown Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 06-15-2013 05:46 PM
Looking for: Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA Clone (Extract!) jeremydgreat Recipes/Ingredients 1 10-30-2011 05:28 AM
AHS Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone? jrss13 Recipes/Ingredients 3 08-09-2010 11:24 PM


Forum Jump