Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Old 03-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #501
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5737 Times on 4108 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
See what good beer does...brings everyone together. I love it! You should be proud! And this is the best reicpe! Thanks Again Yoop!
You're welcome. I'll be over to your house next week to drink some of your beer!

By the way, I made this beer again last week (about 12 days ago, actually) I didn't have amber malt, so I used biscuit malt. I also used a bag for my hops to not clog up my shiny new diptube that lschiavo made and installed.

I sampled it yesterday- it's definitely not the same old recipe. It's less bitter, which I can attribute to the hops bag, and it's almost copper colored. It's more like an APA. I added the dryhops yesterday, and I think it'll be a good beer but definitely not as planned.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #502
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 910 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
You're welcome. I'll be over to your house next week to drink some of your beer!

By the way, I made this beer again last week (about 12 days ago, actually) I didn't have amber malt, so I used biscuit malt. I also used a bag for my hops to not clog up my shiny new diptube that lschiavo made and installed.

I sampled it yesterday- it's definitely not the same old recipe. It's less bitter, which I can attribute to the hops bag, and it's almost copper colored. It's more like an APA. I added the dryhops yesterday, and I think it'll be a good beer but definitely not as planned.
We used a hop bag and you said you liked ours. I guess I just dont want to believe it takes anything away (although common sense says it would). It make things too convienient.

I wil help you get back to the original. This one is too good to mess with!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #503
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
We used a hop bag and you said you liked ours. I guess I just dont want to believe it takes anything away (although common sense says it would). It make things too convienient.

I wil help you get back to the original. This one is too good to mess with!
Well, I just remembered that I way overshot my volume in this batch. That would explain the lack of bitterness, I guess. Remember, I ended up with about 6.5 gallons in the fermenter? But I also got 77% efficiency, so I didn't sweat it. That would explain the flavor changes, though!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #504
raymcgill
Recipes 

Thanks, Yooper. Looking forward to making this! Thanks specially for posting your BeerSmith recipe file!

Old 04-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #505
jim_reaper1066
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Finally put on the extract version of this a few days ago, and my clothes, hands, apartment still smell like hops, its fantastic. This was my first time using whole leaf hops and man, by the end of the boil it was a thick hop soup. I tried to whirlpool and let it settle before siphoning to the bucket, but no dice. Then I tried pouring it through a nylon bag, but it retained all the wort too. Finally got it all in and topped off to 5 gal, and wound up with a OG 1.064.
Im going to try this again in a few weeks, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to separate the hops/wort and the low OG?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #506
jamie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_reaper1066 View Post
Finally put on the extract version of this a few days ago, and my clothes, hands, apartment still smell like hops, its fantastic. This was my first time using whole leaf hops and man, by the end of the boil it was a thick hop soup. I tried to whirlpool and let it settle before siphoning to the bucket, but no dice. Then I tried pouring it through a nylon bag, but it retained all the wort too. Finally got it all in and topped off to 5 gal, and wound up with a OG 1.064.
Im going to try this again in a few weeks, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to separate the hops/wort and the low OG?
Good to see a fellow Atlantic Canadian!

I used a grain bag when adding the hops. Allows you to take the hops out of the wort after the boil. Less mess.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #507
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_reaper1066 View Post
I don't think that's that low, is it? Mine came out at 1.060, and finished at 1.017, and it was VERY tasty!

Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #508
gmtech825
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

maybe this has been answered already but what is the advantage of the continuous hopping. could you get close to same results with doing normal hop additions. by the way this has been on the gas for a few days now, ill let you know how it comes out when i give it a try.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #509
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech825 View Post
maybe this has been answered already but what is the advantage of the continuous hopping. could you get close to same results with doing normal hop additions. by the way this has been on the gas for a few days now, ill let you know how it comes out when i give it a try.
I've never done it traditionally- the recipe is a clone of DFH's 60, and one of the things they do is "continuous hopping". They have a device that does it, but I read that when he first started, he used one of those old football games to add the hops. You know, the football game that vibrated the people around? That's what he put the hops on to continually fall into the wort.

I know that some people have said they didn't have the patience to continuously hop, and added the hops in timed intervals. I didn't taste their beers to compare, though.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #510
gmtech825
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

another thing ive wondered about is the ibu calculated with beersmith. how accurate is the ibu given you cant set up the recipe for continuously hoppped wort with beersmith.