Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Old 06-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #2011
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Brewed this tonight... for some reason got terrible efficiency. Went with 11 instead of 13 lbs base malt thinking it would get me closer to the 6% abv DFH, but ended up with an OG of only 1054. Other than that, brew day went well. Looking forward to trying it!

Old 06-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #2012
Broham1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts

I'm planning on brewing 10 gals of this soon, following OP to the letter...
Except...
I plan to split the batch and do 5 gals as an India Pale Lager. Anyone care to recommend a good lager yeast for this recipe?

Old 06-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #2013
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

Interesting idea. White Labs 800 Pilsner Yeast. Should give you a clean crisp beer that will accentuate the hops.

Once I get my keezer set up, it'll open up my extra fridge for fermenting and I plan on doing a pilsner with the 800. I've used it in the past and liked the results.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #2014
SudsyPaul
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Holy crap, this new batch has been a gong-show for me.

I racked too early and had a FG of 1.020, definitely too high for my liking. I didn't notice until after 10 days of dry-hopping, so I just pitched some fresh US-05 in each carboy and it's bubbling away. I'll rack to a keg in a week and see what insane concoction I've brewed up.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #2015
Dovage
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just bottled mine. Followed the recipe pretty closely, except I used S-04, no particular reason why. I didn't get very good efficiency 51% according to BeerSmith, but the sample tasted really good Still, it got down to 1.002 frome 1.046, which figures at 6% after temp. adjust. Should be quite delicious in 3 weeks. I'll repost when I crack one.
Bottled- Handy Men IPA
Residual Boulder Brown Ale

Last edited by Dovage; 06-19-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added info

Old 06-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #2016
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovage
Just bottled mine. Followed the recipe pretty closely, except I used S-04, no particular reason why. I didn't get very good efficiency 51% according to BeerSmith, but the sample tasted really good Still, it got down to 1.002 frome 1.046, which figures at 6% after temp. adjust. Should be quite delicious in 3 weeks. I'll repost when I crack one.
Yes, let us know. Did it with S04 last batch and didn't like.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #2017
burningbaal
Recipes 

Update:
-> to remind: I couldn't get warrior, used colombus instead, amarillo was only available in leaf, all others in pellet.
-> used extract recipe, but forgot irish moss
-> new burner cause wildly inaccurate steeping temperatures (target 67 celcius, good thing it wasn't all-grain!) and two episodes of boil-over, 45 minute steep
-> brewed a double (10gal) batch
-> 1oz simcoe, 3oz amarillo and 2oz colombus were FWH'd (last 30min of steep, left through 60' boil)
-> 15min knockdown after boil (remove from heat, chiller off)
-> upon cooling, added remaining hops at 170farenheit, until target temp for whirlpool hopping
-> split to two fermenters, adding 28oz honey (not clover) to one
-> used a smackpack of pacman in each fermenter
-> rack each after 1week to secondary
-> add 3/4cup lemon zest to the one with honey for 2nd (final) week of secondary (one orange used)
-> bottle-carbed using std corn sugar for non-lemon/honey, primed with more honey for the lemon/honey one (used 1.2oz honey per oz of sugar called for)

ended up about 6.4% in regular, 7.2% in lemon-honey (no doubt due to extra sugars from 28oz of honey in primary)
took almost 5 weeks for regular to fully carbonate, nearly 8 weeks for lemon to carbonate.

other than the VERY slow carbonation process, they are delicious.

only advice (other than figuring out the carbonation issue): the lemon was too much on the day of bottling, but by the time it carbonated, the lemon was a background note, not forward at all. I'll probably use at least 1cup of lemon zest next time, probably for both weeks of secondary.

Opinion: tons of hoppiness, comfortably bittered, smells like you're walking through a hop farm. Delicious; I plan on making this again soon, not sure which I'll do, contemplating moving more hops in FWH, from whirlpool.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #2018
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Brewed 8g of this months ago. It didn't turn out. This is the second time I've brewed this; the first came out great. This last batch I split 5g into one fermenter and 3g into another. I added apricots and apricot spread to the 3g.

So far the beer has a odd off taste. It's like a plastic/melted plastic taste that adds an odd bitterness to it. My sanitation is good, my yeast came from a previous batch without issues, the brew went well, nothing was changed. The hops and grains should have been fresh, I seal my grains in bags and hops with a vacuum sealer. I use Chico yeast and ferment in a freezer at 64 for 3-4 weeks, crash cool and gel for another week. Im thinking the extract I used to make the starter contributed to the odd taste. It's 5 years old, but I had used it several times before.

I'm pretty disappointed with it. I've left the cases in the garage to see if it mellows. This is the first batch since I started that hasn't turned out. I'm wondering if Yooper or someone has experience with this.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #2019
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Just stopped by MoreBeer (3 miles away!) and bought the ingredients for this. Brewing it up tomorrow; can't wait! Like others have done, I did end up going with only 12lbs of 2-row instead of 13, but that's just because my efficiency lately has been around 80% and I'm trying to stick close to the recipe. At the counter, the guy who rung me up immediately said, "IPA?" After I said yes, he asked "Dogfish head?"

Whoa!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #2020
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6046 Times on 4309 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

I made a lower ABV version of this today. I love it, but I wanted something under 5.5% so I reduced the base malt a bit. I'm also trying two different yeast strains.

For one fermenter, I'm using dry BRY-97. For the other, I'm using Wyeast's Northwest ale yeast. We'll see how that comes out.

I kept the hopping basically the same but did additions at 15/10/5/0 instead of continous.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans