Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Old 02-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #1831
t-ross
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Didn't think of stratification, that sounds like it could explain it. I had ~0.5 gallon water in to start, then added my wort through a funnel and a strainer. Then added rest of the water through the strainer over the hops. My sample thief is short and this is only a 2.5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon bottle. The thief only went in about 3" into the liquid.

This is my second batch using a better bottle as a primary. The last one had a higher than expected og. Could be same issue. Next time I'll mix it up better before gravity reading.

I think this makes more sense than losses due to the whole hops. Loosing 0.75 gallon of a 1.5 gallon boil doesn't seem likely.

Thanks, I feel better now

Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #1832
relaxnrelapsen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Can anyone suggest a good substitute for the Thomas Fawcett amber malt? This is gonna be my first all grain recipe. I have available at LHBS: bicuit, caramunich, caravienne, belgian special b, briess domestic special roast 50L, maris otter, victory, vienna, and briess caramel 10-120L. i like my brews to finish a bit dry. plan to use a 2nd generation of wlp001 with this as well

Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #1833
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxnrelapsen View Post
Can anyone suggest a good substitute for the Thomas Fawcett amber malt? This is gonna be my first all grain recipe. I have available at LHBS: bicuit, caramunich, caravienne, belgian special b, briess domestic special roast 50L, maris otter, victory, vienna, and briess caramel 10-120L. i like my brews to finish a bit dry. plan to use a 2nd generation of wlp001 with this as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Amber malt is a slightly darker base malt. The best sub would be biscuit malt or aromatic malt, but crystal malt would be acceptable but different.
relaxnrelapsen Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #1834
NFryan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxnrelapsen
I used victory, just brewed this weekend. Ill let you know how it turns out.
relaxnrelapsen Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #1835
relaxnrelapsen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default question on volumes

as this is gonna be my first all grain batch, i need some help on the volumes..
yooper can you elaborate on the volumes during the process, or direct to me to a page that helps?...specifically for this recipe, im wondering how much wort to collect for the boil to end up with 5 gallons in the fermentor. should i check gravity before the boil--does that matter much?
thanks!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #1836
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5538 Times on 3982 Posts
Likes Given: 1347

Quote:
as this is gonna be my first all grain batch, i need some help on the volumes..
yooper can you elaborate on the volumes during the process, or direct to me to a page that helps?...specifically for this recipe, im wondering how much wort to collect for the boil to end up with 5 gallons in the fermentor. should i check gravity before the boil--does that matter much?
thanks!
How much do you boil off? If you boil off say, 1.5 gallons an hour, then to end up with 5 gallons in the fermenter you'll need to start with 6.5 gallons at the start of the boil.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #1837
relaxnrelapsen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i actually dont know, i have never done an all grain. thats why i ask!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #1838
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
i actually dont know, i have never done an all grain. thats why i ask!
boil off should be same for extract and all grain if you use the same kettle....

Old 02-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #1839
melche01
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this recipe in early December but just tried a DFH 60 min IPA on tap at a bar last night and I have to say it tastes nearly the same. Mine is a little more hazy but I don't mind. Thanks for the recipe Yooper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1508420153.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	99308

Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #1840
sneakymeade
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Can anyone suggest a good substitute for the Thomas Fawcett amber malt?
I just finished this 60 minute recipe, and I've done a few of the 90 minute clones, which also call for the Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt. Since my LBHS didn't carry it either, I tried using Caramel 40 as a substitute, and eventually ordered the TFA online. I must say that while the Caramel 40 tasted good, the TFA matches much more closely to the original. I got it from Farmhouse Brewing Supply.